Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Line Sizing Standard for n-Butane Vapor Flow. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavan Kumar

Chemical
Aug 27, 2019
CA
Hi All,

I need to size a line for n-Butane vapor flow to our reactor. Is there any code or standard that provides guideline for pressure drop in psi allowed per 100 feet for this service. Your suggestions would be very helpful to me.

Thanks and Regards,
Pavan Kumar

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
To me , you should consult peers within your organization .
You can develop a spreadsheet for compressible flows with different models ( isothermal and adiabatic) and select based on your judgment. In addition a document making the comparison between Isothermal vs adiabatic for different gas, different pressure conditions , etc.
Better to avoid simplistic model and rules of thumb.

My view
Pierre

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=be07963f-90d4-4c2e-81f1-66e9544e7eba&file=Compressible_fluid_pressure_drop_HP_1999.pdf
One should not add multiple safety factors, or one will find oneself unrealistically conservative. Make an engineering judgement. If the pipe is longish (km's), uninsulated, and/or there is plenty of time for heat transfer - isothermal; if the pipe is shortish (m's), insulated, and/or not much time for heat transfer - adiabatic.

Good Luck,
Latexman

For compressible flow, the isothermal calc procedure is almost always used for high velocity / high pressure drop lines since it gives slightly higher pressure drop that adiabatic flow calcs. The adiabatic flow calcs are some what more complicated even with a computer spreadsheet, since it involves a few iterations for each line.
Use isothermal flow calcs for PSV inlet lines if you expect high dp, otherwise, even simpler incompressible flow calcs with compressibility factor included will do just as well.

Hi pierreick,

The spreadsheets I developed(shared in my earlier posts above) based on the Isothermal and Adiabatic Frictional flow Equations are similar to the ones you shared above. I will go through your spreadsheets and improve on my mine.

Thanks for sharing your spreadsheets.

Thanks and Regards,
Pavan Kumar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back