Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linear Actuator remote location

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenghensen

Mechanical
Feb 25, 2014
US
Hey all, I am trying to build a scotch yoke system with multiple sliders positioned along a single rocker arm. The issue that I am running into is finding a good way to elongate my electric solenoid shaft.

I can get a solenoid that will give me more than enough stroke length to rotate the cranks where I need them, but I would like to hook up multiple cranks to this system and have it span about a 1.5 foot length. Any suggestions on a reliable way to attach a longer shaft to the end of a linear solenoid would be greatly appreciated.

I have thought about adhesives, threading both components, and clamping the longer rod on, but I have no idea which will hold up to loads the best and take the least amount of effort.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Be aware that substantially increasing the solenoid plunger's mass will affect the solenoid's performance.

For a simple tubular solenoid, you don't need anything real fancy; low alloy steel, shaped like the OEM solenoid plunger, annealed and nickel plated, should be sufficient.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I should mention that solenoids don't normally do well, actuating multiple anythings, or holding against a load.
You haven't given enough detail to assess whether a solenoid actually is a good choice.
At some levels of mass, a number so far not in evidence, other alternatives exist, e.g. door lock motors.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I didn't know how complicated it would be to install a new shaft in the solenoid, so if it doesn't require much more than basic tools, that is a definite possibility.

@ itsmoked: I will be using an AC solenoid, but the duty cycle shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the heads up on that though.

I also just looked into the car door lock actuators, and those seem like a pretty decent alternative. Any idea what sort of stroke length I can get out of a standard one? Also how well would they hold up to the load of an elongated shaft?

The car door lock actuators are probably not going to like moving some big shaft with a bunch of selector forks. ... nor will any other kind of solenoid.

The door lock actuators are well adapted to running exactly one thing.
So use a bunch of them and forget the mechanical selector mechanism.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back