Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linear Buckling and Symmetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fefe85

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2015
US
Hello,

I'm working on the buckle analysis of a piece of sheet metal withstanding an axial load. The part is symmetrical to a plane but the geometry is pretty simple and computational power is not a problem so I started modeling the whole with shell elements. Then I tried to model only the half to get symmetrical and antisymmetrical modes (2 separate analysis with different BCs), and got very different results from the original. Which ones should I consider to be reliable ?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, if you find you got different results when you use full model and half model under the same circumstance, I think we are in the same trouble, I am also sincerely ask for help from someone who know the trick of this.

I got a similar problem, for a simple bar under compression, and since the bar is just a straight one, and I just simplify the model as half length and set symmetry boundary condition at one end to make it only half of the whole body, and got a result, then, I found it is not time consuming, so I change it to full length, but the result is so disappointed, even cannot give me a reasonable deformation contour, and all the thing is just the same.

So, please help us, all friends in this forum, your response is highly important for us!

Best Regards,
Kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back