Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

linear circular mixed patterns

Status
Not open for further replies.

PZas

Mechanical
Jul 5, 2005
US
Is there any way to create a circular linear mixed pattern. For example if you have a thin walled tube and you want to put a heliptical series of holes in the tube.

Basically telling SW to step down the tube 1 inch then rotate 30 degrees and pattern the profiles.

This is SW 2004

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I understand correctly, why not create a holes in-line in a sketch and extrude thru the wall...then circular pattern the hole feature 30deg?

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP3.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

The problem I am having with the curve driven pattern is that the pattern items do not rotate correctly with the helix. If a pipe were to be inserted through the holes they would no longer intersect the centerline of the pipe.

ctopher I do not understand how that would result in holes in a heliptical pattern.

I think I found what you ment...and it is as I hoped it would not be. Just to be clear what is DLable?

In those examples one has to either define every hole or have the holes linear pattern down the tube centerline. Unfortunately there seems to be no way to easily do this. I have come up with an approximation that works for cuts but will not work for extrusions.

It seems that there is little way to take a 3" pipe and make it so there are a ton of .25 inch pipes sticking in it through the centerline without making them with a linear pattern. We should suggest to SW to allow a linear pattern to rotate the patterned item X degrees every step. Or they should fix the curve driven patterns so that they really do stay tangent to the curve (as they do not at the present).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back