Linear or Circular Sketch Patterns Follwing a 3 Point Snail Curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krispee

Industrial
Feb 9, 2014
GB
Hi
i`m new here but i thought i`d just jump in since i have a problem in solidworks i was hoping someone might help with.
i work for a company that uses Davenport Automatics and have been designing cams for them for some time using traditional CAD(2d) that i then Wire Erode for my boss. it is a time consuming process creating the program as i have to CAD teeth following a constantly expanding curve or rise, i suppose you might call it a snail curve.
so i thought i`d give Solidworks a try and see it i could find a way of creating the cam a little easier(read quicker).

does anyone have any experience of using Solidworks in this way. using trad. CAD you use the array feature but in this case the array has to follow the constantly expanding curve i generated using a 3 point curve in Solidworks. i`ve been in there trying but no luck so far. i have to create anything from 10 to 25 teeth over 180 degrees. creating the curve is no problem and 1 tooth, but trying to duplicate that so that it follows this curve is the hard bit.

anyone any ideas?

thanks
Kris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you generating the curve with the spiral function? Solidworks also has a curve driven pattern feature which works with any arbitrary curve. Are you using that feature? Are you fixing the angular position of your first tooth sketch to the curve and removing any auto generated horizontal or vertical relations?

Timelord

Kris,

There are many ways to do something in SWX. I have done cams in several different ways depending on the requirements and the conditions. If you could post an example file of what you are trying to do it would be easier for us to understand and give better advice.

- - -Updraft

Hi guys
thanks for your replies. i`ve had a look at the Camnetics site and it looks impressive but not sure it will do what i want it to.
i haven`t used the spiral function yet so will have a look at that in due course.
i have to track the Radii points in both X and Y and then both I and J to a .0001" in order for the Wire Eroder to be happy to follow the path. having spent a little more time i have managed to draw a basic cam but with no teeth. i`ll post the drawing as soon as i have my FTP software loaded up again.
it may a few days before i can, just thought i`d let you know i haven`t forgotten.

thanks again
Kris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back