Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linear Rails: THK Vs NSK 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechantaeus

Mechanical
Aug 3, 2004
US
Group:

I am currently comparing THK and NSK linear rails. Everything appears similar with the exception thatNSK is cheaper. I have also looked into bearing design, load capacity etc.
Any experiences with the above two?
Thanks,

-mech

[2thumbsup]
Work Hard and Work Smart
[2thumbsup]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the specs are similar, then performance should be as well. This should be a Purchasing function, but I would check to see where the vendors are located, as this may have an affect on your lead times. Also one might have a minimum order stipulation, which might not work with your product or processes.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I have used THK, NSK, Thompson, Hiwin, and INA and they all seem to work well and are drop in replacements for each other. If you have a high speed >60in-sec or a non-lube application you might want to pick one with a oil impregnanted plastic "cage" that recirculates with the balls. I think THK and one other has this but the last ones I spec'ed were over a year ago.

Barry

some THK blocks are caged. Life is much longer, they tend to be quieter too. I think they have a plant in the US, so lead times are relatively quick.

Barry,
What is your experience with Hiwin. I have started evaluating them, but the rails are critical to our design and am afraid that in production the quality may not be as good as the few prototype rails they provide.

Thanks,
Terry

We never had any problems with Hiwin though we mainly used THK since a local distributor stocked it. Most of our apps were gantry robots using pairs of rails on machined sufaces. One rail would be justified against a shoulder for straightness.
The only problems we ever had were due to bad machining of our structures never the purchased rail. The main mistake would be a bowed structure not being shimmed well enough before being clamped down to machine. This would caused the structure to spring back bowed after being machined "flat" when unclamped.
Of course stress relieve any welded assemblies before machining.

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back