Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linear Transient Stress Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnyGluebag

Marine/Ocean
Nov 30, 2005
US
Good day,
I am looking for books, references, tutorials to learn how to do a linear transient stress analysis using Femap/MSC Nastran. More specifically, Direct Transient analysis.

I am comfortable with static stress anlysis and modeling. What I am finding difficult is getting information regarding the functions used to describe the loading and the time intervals used for the analysis.

Over time I want to linearly ramp up the load on the structure, then ramp down the load. Then let the analysis run for a bit to monitor the stress and deflections after the loading is finished. The loading is taking place over a about 0.03 seconds, an impact load basically. I have done a few runs and have found that depending on how the loading function is defined, results can vary.

Anyway, I appreciate any comments and advice.

JohnyGluebag.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks ThomasH.
I am finding that there is no single resource to figure this out. I guess it would all be to easy then eh.

JohnyGluebag.

Transient load should be obtained from field testing/measurement. If you don't have real world data for your shock load, I would suggest you to consult some vibration testing standard, such as MIL-STD 810F (Method 520.2). You can use the shock load function descripted in that testing standard. By this way, you know your design would at least conform to that standard.

The pieces are starting to come together. A consultant is supplying the physical testing data with load curves, numerical testing to compare too and such.

After running a couple transient cases it is interesting to see how the model buckles differently than shown in the eigenvalue analysis...so many things to figure out....

While I am totaly stressed out and concerned about my lack of experience (obviously doing good work is important), I am finding this very interesting and hope to come out of this with a good experience. How and why this job has been bestowed upon me is a messed up tale that I will not bore people with here.

Thanks again for the replys,
JohnyGluebag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back