Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lined Plug Valves Reference List

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanier

Mechanical
May 20, 2001
AU
Has any forum member experience of using KVS lined plug valves particularly in desalination applications?

The website claims DN600 Class valves but I am having trouble getting the company to provide me with reference plants so I can check with the users. Thus always leaves me suspicious particularly when the company is trying to sell their valves.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When refering to DN600 are you refering to valve size?

Are you meaning lined or sleeved plug valve? Lined means that the whole interior of the valve is lined with typically a Teflon material. This is typically used in corrosive services. All "wetted" parts are typically Teflon.

Sleeved plug valves refer to a sleeve that is typically teflon which surrounds the plug and is the sealing surface. The body material, Carbon, Stainless or other material is the body material and is a "wetted" part.

As far as far this manufacturer I have no experience. I can tell you that the largest (production capability) plug valve manufacturers of lined or sleeved valves are Xomox/Tufline or Durco. I would trust that one of these could build a plug valve.

If you are looking for a 600# class sleeved plug valve I know that Xomox makes them as I have bought some and had good experiences with them. I have only used Xomox 600# clas valve in gas service. However I have used Xomox 150# class valves in brine (high content salt water) service.

DN600 is a VERY large plug valve. Durco offers through DN455.

If you need a lined valve larger than this it mught be time to look at a lined butterfly valve such as the Durco BT.

Will you verify your pressure class required? Frog123 mentioned class 600, but I don't see that you mentioned a pressure class in the original post.

The style of valve is a sleeved valve where the PTFE sleeve is locked into the body. The other parts are in super duplex stainless steel. A lined valve I would not think is available at Class 600.

Xomox do not manufacture the size required and thier prices are too high. MTS in Spain have the lions share of the desalination market.

Class 600 is required for the 76bar pressure for the reverse osmosis process.

Valves are generally butt welded into the SAF 2507 piping. Butt welded valves save the cost of a pair of flanges.

I wouldnt expect that a butterfly valve would achieve the tight shut off requirements. In any event the required flanges soon make up the cost difference.

My original question remains. Has anyone any experience of this company?

stanier,

It is common for suppliers to adverise stuff in their catalogs that they have never made before. They bury the tooling costs in the first order so the first customer ends up paying for it. This quick check may help to confirm your thoughts. Request the assembly drawing for the product for your review. Check the date on the drawing. If it was made the same day as you asked, you know the deal. If they won't show you the drawing, you also know the situation. Get in touch with the Engineers who made the drawing. Engineers have a much harder time not telling the truth.

bcd

bcd,

I have done this and this raised my suspicions. The fact that no one knows them only confirms my suspicions.

Cheers

I looked at the KVS catalog and it is remarkable that a lot of the photographs are EXACTLY the same as in the Durco catalog. Even the text is so similar as to be statistically improbable that it is original.
Hmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back