Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Liners for Potassium Permanganate 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrf

Civil/Environmental
Apr 18, 2003
US
I have a 20,000 gallon concrete tank that holds Potassium Permanganate (KMnO4). The original liner/coating applied has disintegrated and we are looking to replace the liner. Apparently, KMnO4 has a high surface tension, and creeps (capilarry action) through any shrinkage cracks or imperfections in the concrete walls. We need a coating that can bridge these cracks and prevent the creeping action of the chemical. The tank is 10'wx 20'lx 14'h. It will hold 3-5% KMnO4.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Would you consider a separate liner such as one made of HDPE? Our experience with coatings is inconsistent at best. Most tend to crack at the same places the concrete does and the chemical aggressively attacks these locations. Plus coatings are very sensitive to surface preparation, moisture in the concrete etc. The applicators then blame the manufacturer and the manufacturer blames the applicator.
An independent liner attached at a few critical spots (top of wall; at corner) using battens will be isolated from any cracks/movement of the tank. Plus the liner installers seem to be more quality conscious.

Many of the coating manufacturers (Tnemec, Sherwin-Williams, Ameron, etc.) have high build flexible coatings that can bridge small cracks yet expand and contract with them. Some have products specifically for secondary containment that do this. You probably should talk with one of your local reps to see what product will meet your needs.

Tnemec Series 264 Elasto-Shield has been used in concrete water storage facilities with good results. I doubt it will; but, I'm not sure if the KMNO4 will react with the coating in an adverse manner. You want to make sure the coating you spec is compatible with your liquid.

I am not a fan of HDPE liners - the problem involves the sealing o overlaps. Better to use Urethane or Vinyl. Potassium will not effect either one - we have used liners made from urethane, vinly and even polypropylene for sulfuric acid and sodium hydroxide solutions without destruction.

Urethane, vinly and polyproplyne can be heat welded in place - allowing for total containment. Depending on tank shape and protruding piping,etc. - the liners can be preformed and simply dropped in place. In most cases, the concrete needs no underlayment or repair. Colorado Lining in Denver is good company - might try contacting them. Cheaper to use a liner then applying coatings - usually by 50%.
Dave /Aquatic Technologies

Might give Quality Lining Company a call. They have website but don't have address or their phone number readily available. Should be able to find them via a search engine on-line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back