Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link Custom Prop. of Multiple configurations into a General Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

MauricioM

Mechanical
Jun 15, 2005
US
I'm trying to do something ...maybe crazy...Solidworks 06 comes with a new table "General table" and I was wondering if there is a way to link custom properties of different configurations of a part to create a tabulation with part no-xxx, description/detail, rev, etc. Does it make sense?

I tried with all the $PRP's available and I still can't get to show all the custom prop. (configurations) at the same time, it only works with whatever configuration is been used on the drawing sheet so only one configuration appears.

Is there any hope for this craziness??

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you use a design table in the part file, then you insert that into the drawing. You will have to spend some time formatting and hiding columns and rows you don't want seen.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP4.0 on WinXP SP2

In the Index section of the SW Help file, go to design tables > in drawings > related topics > Displaying a Design Table in a Drawing

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

Using Microsoft Excel tables works fine, they way it should ...but, I hope one day we will be less dependent on Microsoft applications.
I was hoping to find a way to use the new tables included in the software.
I do appreciate for the tip anyway.
Thanks.

(Mechanical)
Solidworks 06/PDMworks 06
Windows XP Professional 2002
AMD Athlon(tm)64 Processor 3000+
NVIDIA Quadro FX 700

You can submit an enhancement request for a new revamped design table for the drawing that works like the tables do now.

I would prefer that myself as I hate going through the actions of reformatting the Excel design table to make it look presentable. Wouldn't be be so bad except that it reformats the design table in the part where often I still want to see the column syntax being used. This also require write-access to the part file which is not always possible in a PDM environment.

I wonder how hard this would be to program in through the API? Maybe some of the API gurus on the forum could chime in. Basically pull the configurable data from the part, then dump it into a general table.

Jason

We had our users group meeting last night and special guest John McEleney, Solidworks CEO, and talk about some issues with PDM stuff....he did promise to enhance a few things but did not say when....probably 08 release.
About Design Tables...I try to stay away from using Microsoft applications for the same reason.
There must be a way to create as many custom properties per configuration (part file) and display them inside a SW table (drawing) or links all of them to a local note and just add some lines.
Anyway, it was nice to see some of the mayor enhancements for 2007.

(Mechanical)
NVIDIA Quadro FX 700

You can create drawing views of each config, then add a note attached to the part in the view and link it to a config property. Then you can link that to a cell in the table.

Jason

I did the following: insert an object>Excel worksheet>link each custom prop. to a cell.

It does work but, if you change any of the custom properties values (part file) they do not update on your Excel table (drawing) in comparison with the general tables.
Does it update on your system?

(Mechanical)
NVIDIA Quadro FX 700

I must be missing something, 'cause it does not work.... I've created the views (one per configuration) added the notes, each linked to a unique custom property....then link each note to a cell in the general table.

I did notice when using $PRPMODEL:"CUSTOM PROP", cell is blank but, if you double click, the link is there. If using $PRPVIEW:"CUSTOM PROP" instead, this is exactly what the cell shows: $PRPVIEW:{CUSTOM PROP}

Maybe one of the settings perhaps

(Mechanical)
NVIDIA Quadro FX 700

Yeah, I don't I think you can configurtion specific properties, only the regular custom properties and dimensions.
Looks like an enhancement request.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back