Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Linking a drawing view in a Word Document??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnas

Mechanical
Dec 21, 2004
US
OK, what I need to do is link specific drawing detail views into a Word document. I am making an instruction manual and I need to give them detail views for assembly. How can this be done while maintaining a link so that if the model changes, the drawing view in the Word document updates as well? I assume a check between the model and the view in the Word document would be done every time the Word document is opened.

I sure hope this can be done because it will save me a lot of work.

Thanks in advance,
Drake

When it comes to protecting yourself or your family it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The ONLY way I know is...
In SW feature tree you have a Design Binder (MS Word). You can make a copy of the dwg (not indiv views) and paste into the doc, then crop the pasted pic. Each time you do a change, go to the DB, there will be a new pic to be inserted.
Other than this, MS Word uses pics from SW and they can not auto updated.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP3.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Actually SW files are OLE compliant, so with a Word document open, go to Insert > Object Create from file,select Link to file & then browse to the required file, select it & click Insert & then OK. The image should appear & be linked to the original SW file.

When opening the Word doc, you will be given a choice whether to update or not.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

Try looking up OLE in Solidworks help....inserting solidWorks data in Other apps.

you can link or embed.

straight from Help

"Linking files. When you link a file:

The file remains in its original location.

Anything you change in the original file affects all the files to which it is linked.

If you double-click a SolidWorks image in a Microsoft Word document, the SolidWorks software launches for you to edit the original file (if you have SolidWorks installed on your PC).

For example, if you edit a SolidWorks assembly document that is linked to several Word documents, the changes you make are reflected in both the original SolidWorks file and all of the Word documents"

Ed Hulse
Sr. Designer/DBWorks Admin

I just inserted a drawing into Word....but I want to rotate it 90deg. It won't let me. the "rotate" box is underintensified.... any idea why? Maybe this is more of a Word question that SWx...

And I'd still like to know what the difference between Pro-E and Solidworks is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back