Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking BOM ItemNo. to Part Properties for title block info

Status
Not open for further replies.

desCANADA

Automotive
Nov 24, 2003
CA
Hi, I'm trying to link the BOM item number to part propreties so that the title block will be able to show which balloon references the part on the general assembly.

Is it going to look like similar code as to when your linking a demension value into the parts propeties?? example. "D1@Base-Extrude@11-8963-200-U00-S011.SLDPRT" will show the value of demension1 in the parts properties.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Matthew K. Gray
DES Canada

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What would the code look like, $PRP:"balloon" for example if the added column had balloon as its property?

OR would it have to reference the part somehow, with code that looks like "SW-balloon@@Default@11-8963-300-U08-S002-A.SLDPRT"

I'm sure it would be similar code as if i wanted to Link Qty of a part in an assembly to an anotation text field

I also want to be able to capture the item number from a BOM and use it in a note. We put the assembly and BOM on the first sheet of a mutiple sheet drawing. On the other sheets we show the individual part details, and sub-assemblies. We would like to use the balloons on these subassemblies but they do not match the BOM item numbers from the main assembly on the first sheeet. We also want to lable each detailed part "item xx" and have the "xx" be linked to the BOM item numbers, AND update automitically with changes.

I am new to forums and am not sure if this should have been a new question. Thanks for any help you can give.

Daniel Allore
Industrial Magnetics Inc

I don't think you can link to a balloon number or note like you can to a dimension. Could you not just use the part number on your notes instead of the item number?

Check to see that the "Linked to BOM" option is enabled on your views in the second sheet - this option will force the balloons in that view to match the BOM (assuming that the views on the first and second sheet are of the same assembly, just different configurations)>

Using the part number does not work for us, but thanks for the suggestion.

The views on the other sheets are sub-assemblies, not the same overall assebmly, so even though "linked to BOM" is enabled, the balloons do not follow the overall assembly. I was hoping there was some way to capture the balloon information from a specific part and use it in a note on another page.

Maybe just wishfull thinking!

Thanks for any help

Daniel Allore
Industrial Magnetics Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back