Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking Dumb 2D prints to "new" Solid models ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brudje

Mechanical
Nov 18, 2004
US
Gentlemen,

I am looking for a way to link imported CADKEY "dumb" prints to "new" solid models of the same parts created in Solidworks, so the dumb print will follow and be linked to the "new" solid model in PDM.

I do not need the dumb print to change with the model, these are old prints and old components that more than likely won't change,and if they were to, then I would recreate the print in SDW.

We have a bunch of older components that we make that we use in new products,so we model them in solidworks to use in assemblies, but the prints and lower level parts are the same. I want to try to get them to reside in the same location in the vault...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Eric,

Thanks.
However, you can only add attachments to non-solidworks entities.
I am "converting" the CAD KEY prints to a .DWG or .sldrw first so I can edit them, if need be, in a Solid works environment. We are trying to phase out CAD KEY.
This "conversion" make them a solid works entity, and disallows me to attach them to the 3D model file...

A quick and dirty way of linking your "dumb" drawing to your SWX model would be to insert a view of the SWX model (an ISO view would be pretty benign). If you don't want the new view, I believe you could hide it and still maintain the link.

I did think of doing this...

I was hoping to link these with out having to do this...

Thanks I will keep this in my back pocket...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back