Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linking problems with subroutines 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohagan

Electrical
Sep 20, 2006
CA
I have installed visual c++ and intel fortran but abaqus fails to recognize either one when I run the abaqus verification, is there some sort of trick here besides installing these programs?

For reference I have tried visual studio c++ 2005 express, and 2008 beta, along with a trial version of intel fortran 10.1, and I am using abaqus 6.6. thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
I had same problems with abaqus 6.7-1 but I finally managed to get it working.
I advise you to check the requirments for abaqus 6.6, you have to type in the abaqus command window: abaqus info=system
you note eveything what is needed for your installation (example for abaqus 6.7-1, Microsoft Visual c++ 7 and Intel Visual Fortran 8.1 or 9.1 are required).
here: First of all, remove all previous installations of abaqus, fortran and visual c++.
You start by installing Microsoft Visual C++, when you are prompted to update environnment variables, you choose yes.
At the end of the installation, you try to locate vcvars32.bat and you run it (this will ensure that environnement variables are updated).
Second step, you have to install the visual fortran, I believe from the link above that is Intel visual fortran 8.
when the installation is finished, you try to locate the file : ifortvars32.bat and you run it.
You install abaqus documentation, licensing utilities, startd the server, install abaqus products.
When all is done, check again with the command : abaqus info=system.
You may have to update some variables manualy. I'll try to guide you throw that process after...step by step
Sorry for my english

Hi, I am still having problems, I am getting the following error messege:

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "LIBIFCOREMD.LIB"
ABAQUS Error: Problem during linking - ABAQUS/Standard User Subroutines.
This error may be due to a mismatch in the ABAQUS user subroutine arguments.
These arguments sometimes change from release to release, so user subroutines
used with a previous version of ABAQUS may need to be adjusted.
ABAQUS/Analysis exited with errors

What does this mean? thanks.

I think the problem is the correct paths to various .exe, .lib files have not been added to the system variables.

LIBIFCOREMD.LIB is an Intel Fortran library. (For Intel Fortran 9.1 it is placed by default in C:\Program Files\Intel\Compiler\Fortran\9.1\IA32\Lib)

You can use the following approach to solve this type of problems:

On command prompt (run "cmd") type:
"abaqus verify -user_std" , this verifies abaqus/standard with user subroutines.

ABAQUS will check : the OS version, the Visual C++ compiler, the Intel Fortran compiler, and the Web Browser

The verification procedure creates a folder named "verify", which for Windows XP is placed in C:\Documents and Settings\User_name. This folder is deleted if the verification passes. If the verification fails, then you can find inside a .log file which will tell you what might be wrong.

Common problem are the missing paths to:
- Visual C++ compiler "cl.exe"
- Intel Fortran compiler "ifort.exe"
- various library files .lib

To correct this problems you need to:
- search for the specific file
- add the missing path to a .exe file(commonly you can find them in a /bin folder) to SYSTEM->PATH variable
- add the missing path to a library file to SYSTEM->LIB variable
- run "abaqus verify -user_std".
- repeat until verication procedure ends with PASSED.

More Details on verifying the ABAQUS installation can be found in:
ABAQUS Documentation (v6.6) - >ABAQUS Installation and Licensing Guide -> Appendix F: Verification procedure

If you have different versions of Visual C++/ Intel Fortran installed, you have to make sure you add the paths to files of the correct version, conflicts may arise due to compilers trying to link libraries with the same name from an older version. Same problem may arise from possible mixing of 32-bit/64-bit library files when the library files have the same name.

Best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back