Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lintel over 14' opening 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

marthab

Civil/Environmental
Nov 19, 2002
US
This is the case: Brick veneer wall on metal stud, over 14' garage opening. There is 6' brick veneer wall above opening. What is the best "lintel" for this situation? I did a load calculation and came up with a W12X40 to support the 6' brick above. There is a 24" between doors. Can I support the I beam on the brick or do I need some other support?

Suggestions please.

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I simply meant that a loose lintel is ultimately supported by the brick itself - the lintel spans loose from jamb to jamb and the brick edge receives the lintel load and distributes it downward, spreading out as it goes, to the support below. So the brick weight above the lintel is transferred through the lintel and into the brick jamb area.

I prefer the plate welded to the bottom flange and sized for bending of the weight of the brick. The out of plane load must be checked together with the vertical load. That's another reason why the bracing is convenient.

The 40 pound wide flange won't substitute for the angle itself. You can check composite qualities though for the two pieces working together. The beam support column must restrain torsion as well as support the vertical load.

You still need the control joint.

Please note, the column provides stability for out of plane load. It spans to the roof or diaphram. Without it your wall has a knee joint in the middle.

I noticed you said this is a metal building, have you verified that the lateral deflection of the metal building has been limited for brittle wall finishes? The metal building guys like to play fast and loose and I'm betting they are letting deflection get as high as L/240 in the lateral deflection which will not be very friendly to your veneer.

We are in the design process. We are going to request that the metal building will provide lateral support for the brick veneer.

What about loose angles for hollow 8" cmu? Anybody using these and if so, what spans? You could have a little more twisting on the angle as compared to when you use them for brick.

Dave,

I use L6X6X1/4 to support openings in masonry as a retrofit type lintel (when cutting an opening in existing CMU wall). I use expansion bolts to fasten the angle to the CMU and grout the cells above the opening. The angle is installed in place by sawing the joint between the blocks and before the CMU is removed for creates the opening. I have a detail to add the vertical bars on either side of the opening as well. Contractors do not like them but they do an excellent job after I insist on them following the detail. The steel angle will extend min. of 8 inches on each of the opening.

This design and detail worked well for me. However, I limit my MO to no more than 6 feet.

Well, if a loose lintel is good to support say 8 feet of brick, then why couldn't you support some smaller width of hollow cmu block?

If I estimate 8 feet of brick to be 40*8'*4'=1280 total lbs supported by the lintel (with corbeling). Then why not support say 4' of block, ie. 55*4'*2'=440lbs?

I would of course use a bond beam if new construction, but I a thinking about cutting a hole in an existing wall.

Just a thought.

The is the perfect situation for the light gauge specialty contractor to design ganged light gauge "jambs" and a light gauge box header across the opening.

You can screw attach a lintel angle to the light gauge header for brick support. Welding is possible, but special welding techniques must be met and your steel erector may have trouble meeting this requirement.

The only other practical option for this kind of span is to add structural steel tube posts on either side of the opening and span a HSS tube header across the opening with a welded brick support angle.

Good luck!

Keep in mind that the wind load on the garage doors needs to be carried to the roof diaphragm and the foundation by the jambs acting as vertical bending members on the sides of the opening. For openings this large, I use channels for the jambs, and carry the lintel by the jambs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back