Linux and windows 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mir3257

Electrical
Feb 6, 2006
US
Hi everyone

I need some information on dual operating system and installing Linux together with my Windows operating system and I will appreciate all your helps in advance.

1. Which version of Linux is 64bit addressing and how I can download it.

2. Any idea about the programs and instructions that I need to be able to install both operating systems. I need to mention that my computer is coming with two hard drives and that, in my opinion, make the procedure of installing of dual operating systems easier, if I am correct?

Thank you in advance for all your help
Amir

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1.a. A processor with 64 bit addressing can run any Linux, so don't worry about this question.
1.b. Google will bury you in Linux sites. Most of the new versions are big, so you might have to download a large ISO image, maybe more than one, to make an install CD(s). You might consider going to Barnes & Noble and buying a Linux book with CDs included.

2.a. Install Windows first. The Linux install will install LILO or GRUB or something to allow dual- booting.
2.b. Two hard drives will probably make the process more confusing and more complicated than it needs to be, and I think you will find it confusing and complicated enough.

I suggest temporarily removing or at least ignoring the second drive, repartioning the first drive and installing both OSes there, as if you had just one disk.

Then partition the second disk as FAT32, and use it just for data. If it's partitioned NTFS, Linux can read from it, but not write to it.

If none of that makes much sense, get some local help.

Also browse the related Tek-Tips site, which has two busy Linux forums.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Thanks Mike.

In my first question about 64 bit Linux I was concerning if all my memory would be addressed through the Linux or not. Actually I have 4Gb of RAM on my system but windows which is now 32 addressing is unable to recognize more than 3Gb of that and I don't like this happens again with my Linux system also. That is why I am asking on the versions of Linux which are 64 bit addressing.

Thanks again for your help
Amir

I'd do this in 3 partitions:

1) 2Gb format at FAT16
2) Whatever for Windows, probably NTFS
3) Whatever for Linux

With FAT16, you're safe: all operating systems can read it: from DOS to the latest version of Linux/Windows

Hi

Ok, here's the links for the best (in my opinion) distributions for 64bit cpus. Bear in mind that some programs won't be available for use in 64bit (most notably the flash player) or will be harder to install, although for each of this distros there are excellent guides to help you install everything you need.

As for the best distribution for you, I'm not sure, so you could tell here what do you intend to do with Linux and what is your expertise with Windows. Still, they are all fairly easy to learn.

SuSE 10.1:
ftp://suse.inode.at/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.1/non-oss-dvd-iso/SUSE-Linux-10.1-GM-DVD-x86_64.iso

Ubuntu:

Fedora Core 5:

As for the installation, having one or two hard drives makes no difference, since the process of installation and partioning is exactly the same and you don't need to remove the 2nd hdd first, since it will be clearly labeled as a separate hdd. What I recommend is using the first hdd to install windows and linux and having the 2nd hdd for documents and backups (when you install windows or linux again you won't need to touch the 2nd hdd).

First install Windows and then install Linux. If you want some recomendation on how to exactly partition the thing, just reply with your hdd sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back