Linux? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainguy

Structural
Apr 26, 2002
CA
Hello all.

I an debating whether or not to use Linux for my home PC.

Will I be able to run AutoCAD? Is there any way to accomplish this?

tg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

trainguy,
not as far as I know, you may try looking into BRL-CAD, QCAD, SagCad, and Varkon. Those are the only open source CAD programs I know of.
Regards,
RLS

I have been running Mandrake linux on my home PC for about 18 months, and I am very happy with it. The nearly total lack of viruses and other nasties that affect Linux is great, and so is its stability.

Wine is a windows-emulator program for Linux, and it does run many windows programs, but I never could get it to run Autocad cleanly.

Here is one way to run Autocad under Linux (and any other windows software) : Install VMWare Workstation on your Linux Machine.

VMWare lets you set up a virtual machine with a guest operating system. Install windows on this virtual machine, and then install Autocad on it too.

The result is very stable and friendly. Gives you the best of both worlds really.

VMWare Workstation can be downloaded from the VMWare website, with a 30-day free trial. To buy it costs $US189. Well worth a look, IMHO.

Mark M

I thoroughly agree! And to make the effort a euphoric experience, get Opera for Linux and leave Internet Exploder browsersaurus behind.
In addition you will find that many other useful GNU apps will be at your disposal. linuxiso d0t org and Opera dot com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back