Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Liquid level (HLL & LLL) calculation of tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laffan

Chemical
May 24, 2006
QA
Hello All,

I'm trying to claculate liquid level (HLL & LLL) in tank?
Could anybody explain how to calculate it .... and also How to calculate the overflow line of the tank ... espcially for chemical tanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The High liquid level and Low liquid level will depend grately on your application and your needs, the residence time you want for you tank, the hydrostatic pressure you need to have, this is a very general question, if you could describe your process a little bit more it would help

The HLL is typically chosen as 90% full. Tanks are not usually operated to reach 100% full during normal operations. The LLL is typically the minimum level required for pump operation. If you run below that, you are probably going to damage the pump.

These are general guidelines.

The levels would differ for horizontal and vertical tanks; as well as normally empty vessels like a suction scrubber from an amine contactor.

Look at API RP-14C.

HL and HHL are set in the field by operations. We (us'n engineers) set design factors for residence time needed, and generally assume practices for operating vessels. Once the separator is in operation, the levl tgransmitter is off, the desity of the phases are slightly different, flowrates are swinging, on and on. The HL and LL are set initially by the engineers, but operations should adjust to meet the actual conditions. I normally specify LL at 1/2 the normal and HL at 1/2 the amount between normal and 90%, knowing full well operations will change. Saying that, if a volume of liquid exceeds a regulatory limit or relief valve sizing for a fire case, THEN make the HL a madated level that cannot change in your documentation.

Some additions to above.

Do you mean Alarm settings or trip settings - I Presume alarm only (right?) and i know Normally LSHH = trip and LSH=alarm but it depends on where you are and your company codes/location which each one means. I have seen HLL = Trip settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back