Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Liquid Meter Calibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

albertchua

Mechanical
Dec 5, 2003
SG
Hi,

Anyone know about calibration of Turbine/Non-Turbine flow meters? What are the requirements for setting up such facilities? Is there any standard to follow as it is use to serve the Aviation industries?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

I am actually asking about setting up a flow lab. We are a testing house in Singapore. We are looking into how to set up a flow lab. Would appreciate if you could provide any information for us.

Thank You.

Recomend you talk to the Flow Measurement Group at NPL Glasgow. You should find them on the web. Do a bit of research on your competitor web sites, SGS and so on. Talk to the meter manufacturers and try to visit their calibration facilities. Find companies that manufacturer flow prover skids and talk to them.
Then search the national standards data bases.

The repair of aviation parts is a highly regulated industry. Your first line of action would be to contact the manufacture(s) of the flow meters to determine if they allow, and to what extent, outside facilities to repair their flow meters. Aircraft part manufactures have to get a certificate of some sort that allows them to make to components, and along with it the responsibility for providing maintenance instructions. Some companies, more all the time, do not allow outside companies to repair their products.

Assuming that you can test/repair the meter you will require the manufactures overhaul manuals for the product. It will give details for the type of test equipment required. The test equipment will have to be calibrated to a national standard periodically.

At the same time you will have to contact your aviation authority (CAAS) and determine what their requirements are. I had a quick look on their website and I believe you may have to become an approved maintenance organization. This involves writing a quality control manual explaining how you are going to meet the regulations. Regardless of what you have to do you will have to develop a quality control department and have someone who is familiar with the regulations. Often they have to take a test on the regulations. Depending on your current status regarding QC,( ie registered to another like ISO), this may require some time. You may have to get an outside consultant to help.

Good luck!

I think the reference should have been to NEL at Glasgow who are now a commercial operation. They operate flow calibration rigs of various types but not really on an "industrial" basis i.e. they are academics & don't have the same pressures as we mere "working engineers"!!. I think you will also find them quite expensive.
Depends really on what you are trying to achieve, meter type, fluids, pressures, temperatures, accuracies needed etc.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back