Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Liquid SO2 Mass Flow measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJT

Mining
Apr 11, 2002
CA
Hello,
I'm in the process of looking for a mass flow meter to measure liquid SO2 flowing into railcars. Have any of you had good success with any particular models?

Thanks.....Tim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I designed a liquid SO2 plant back in the late 1980's which had two storage tanks and railcar loading. We used Micromotion mass flow meters to measure liquid SO2 during loading operations. The flow meters were not set up for custody transfer because the site had railcar scale which they used for commerce. I believe that it is possible to use the meters for custody transfer.

If you would like more information feel free to contact me.

Douglas

louie.douglas@colteng.com

I've never been faced with this particular application, but my gut reaction is that you need a reliable, positive displacement meter, or maybe two (so that one can be taken off line for maintenance).

The rotating vane type might be best in terms of accuracy, initial first cost, and cost of upkeep. Since such a device measures volume flow, the close monitoring of density would also be needed.

You have a challenging task. Don't try to cut corners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back