Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Liquid SodiumHypochlorite Feed System

Status
Not open for further replies.

bozo190101

Civil/Environmental
Jun 14, 2004
US
I have been looking into the LVN-2000 system for Sodium Hypochlorite feeding at multiple injection points in a plant. Couple of questions:

1. Does anyone have prior experience with this equipment? What are the pros and cons?
2. How effective are the controls for varying feed demands at multiple points?
3. The system requires a Booster Pump to pressurise the injection line to the discahrge points. Which are some of the resommended manufacturer for such pumps.
4. There are specifc head requierments for the LVN system, in which case which kind of a storage tank would be preferred?

Any information on the LVN system would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help
Bozo190101

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It looks like the vacuum feed system is pretty slick, especailly of you have an induction mixer.

First of all, I do not have any experience with these units; however, I would suggest contacting the manufacturer for references of installations in your area. Call the references and make sure you talk to the people who use and maintain the unit. Site visits to see the unit in operation is even better. Think about a strainer between the tank and that v-port valve.

I think you may have trouble using one unit for multiple feed points if each feed point has varying demand for hypochlorite. One way would be to use a rotameters downstream of the injector. However, this can get very cumbersome if you have to make frequent adjustments. I know of a plant that did this, and the operators dreaded playing with the rotameters. Otherwise I would recommend one for each point. This would be a great question for the manufacturer and the references.

As far as manufactures of the booster pump. You may want to look into some of the general water treatment supply mail order companies. If you ask the manufacturer, they will most likely supply the booster pump with the system for an additional charge.

You may want to compare this system to using peristaltic or hose pumps for feeding hypochlorite. It may be lower in capital cost (one pump vs vacuum system and booster pump)and operation cost (hose pump may have lower horsepower than booster pump). The hose pumps can handle the off gassing; however, you may need some more accessories and care should be taken laying out the feed piping to allow any off gas to be removed from the system.

I hope this helps. Just check those references.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back