Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Liquid sulfur viscosity 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnCal

Chemical
Aug 13, 2003
We are designing a sulfur plant. I got liquid sulfur viscosity curves that the liquid sulfur viscosity will increase when temperature increases from 275 deg F to 500 deg F in a sulfur cooler (cool down the sulfur feed). The engineer advised me that this special property is due to the H2S dissolving into the the liquid sulfur. Does anybody have actual liquid sulfur viscosity data from a sulfur plant.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The viscosity increases because sulfur polymerizes into ringlike structures. This can be demonstrated by quenching sealed capsules. The polymer state is rubbery and persists for some days, eventually decomposing into atomic S powder.

Log[sub]10[/sub] n[sub]liq[/sub] = A + B/T + C x T + C x T[sup]2[/sup]

n in centipoises, T in [sup]o[/sup]K.
For liquid sulfur,
A = 326.3558
B = -55393
C = -0.60794
D = 0.00037191
Valid for 460-579[sup]o[/sup]K
n[sub]S(liq)[/sub] at 579[sup]o[/sup]K = 2332.918

From Chemical Properties Handbook, Carl L. Yaws, p. 503 (1999).

He is right. The fact that there is H2S dissolved in the liquid sulfur does change its viscosity significantly. Depending on what you are trying to design, you need to look at whether or not the liquid sulfur has been "degassed" in a sulfur pit or tank. If so, then the viscosity will be much closer to the pure sulfur viscosity curve that you have. If you are looking at lines exiting a sulfur condenser that drain to a sulfur pit or tank, then there is considerable H2S dissolved in the liquid. The H2S in the liquid sulfur tends to make the liquid less viscous. Sorry I don't have any data for you. Depending on how important it is to you, you might contact Alberta Sulphur Research Ltd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back