Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Liquid Trap

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylant

Chemical
Mar 8, 2007
US
A vessel has a pressure set point of 120 psig. It contains liquid naphtha has a level reading attached to it. At one period in the past, this level reading failed. The operator was not aware of that. He purged H2 gas into the vessel which was actually empty. The H2 flows through the pipeline and pressurized the storage tank.

What'd you recommend to prevent this from happening again? I was thinking of some kind of liquid trap (the opposite of steam trap) but I could not find that kind of instrument. Any suggestion?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am sorry for not making this clear. The problem was that the level instrument was giving wrong reading. It was still showing level while the vessel is actually empty. Assuming we put more level instruments, then how could we know which one is reading correctly? Thus, I presume more level instruments will help but will not solve the problem.

When there should be a reading not correct,
then you can replace that one after you opened the drain for checking.
Maybe You can add a levelglass also?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back