Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

List your fave tips for Excel 2016, Please : - ) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomBarsh

Structural
Jun 20, 2002
CA
I have been dragged kicking and screaming into using Excel 2016. "Upgrading" from my old Excel 2007 (which was itself another kicking and screaming story).

Okay, it seems to run all of my VBA and standard workbooks without too many hitches [okay, in hindsight that was TIP #3]. But I just don't like the interface. On the other hand, unlike Excel 2007 the "Office bar" can be modified easily by the user [that was TIP #1] (in 2007 the Office bar could be modified but required some very fancy legwork that I was never able to follow, at least in any decent amount of time; one of our programmers here did do so for our commercial software and he attempted to larn me on it).

I've mostly accommodated myself to the new GUI. But the one thing that I just couldn't get accustomed to (well, there is the fact that each workbook now opens in its own window, don't think I'll ever get used to that ... but I am able to use some existing VBA routines to set up a special view of 3 related workbooks, so I'm thankful for that), back to the point, I just can't get used to the abrupt screen change when selecting the File menu. Well, obviously, this is not something new to Excel 2016 and I'm certainly not the only person to be "shocked" by this, as this article indicates Okay, and maybe that view has some utility with the Info that's provided.

But I really detested the abrupt change when all I needed to do was to create a new workbook. Even worse is that using the File menu I have to select a Template from which to start my new workbook. (Truth be told, I think even Excel 2007 did this as well but I must have put some tool buttons on the bars to immediately create a new file).

Well, the point of this post is that I am a happy camper now. I put the standard tool button into the Quick Access Toolbar to avoid the full screen File view. But this still made me select a Template. Inefficient use of my time! So then I created a VBA routine to directly create a new blank workbook and I put that in the QAT [that was TIP #2]. I'm very happy now.

What tips do you have? Please share, thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could you? I never noticed it until the latest update to my Excel 2016 version when it was noted as a new feature in a pop-up.

Whatever the timing, I'm glad it's possible at last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back