Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

literature for introduction to C programming 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuseshut

Electrical
Oct 16, 2005
US
I am looking for a recommendation on reference material to start out with in learning (relearning) C programming. I only took 2-3 courses in it in college and would like to start with basic review and progress. Any books' recommendation would be great!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could check this two books:

"C: The Complete Reference"
by Herbert Schildt

"C++: The Complete Reference, 4th Edition (Paperback)"
by Herbert Schildt

The last one describes both C and C++, but emphasizes the last one. Both books have descriptions and reviews on amazon.com

I only have the last one, which I think is a great book to have and very useful, but I am sure there are other good books as well.

There's one titles simply "ANSI C", but I don't have a copy near me to check on the author (as I'm sure there will be multiple books labeled similarly). It had a yellow binding, if that helps narrow it down. I found the book to not only explain the salient points of C in a clear way that was also very instructive, it continues to serve as a great reference 10+ years later...

Dan
Owner

The original is still the best!
"The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie
is the way to go.

I suggest that you follow along with the examples in
the book and program them as you go. Then try them
out and make them work. Then "play" with them (modify)
and see what happens. Then onto the next section.

Cheers,

Rich S.

Well, to start, why do you want to learn C now? What plat are you developing on? What applications for it are you looking at? C++ mostly replaced C except for some things, like the Linux kernel.

For business type apps, which I work in, and which, from my observations, most of the jobs in the US are in, it is mostly C# (and other .net langs, like, ughhh, VB.NET) and java.

C is a very, very low level language. I would place C about a level above asm. Very few people do C aside from very specialized things like kernels and drivers. C++ is a step above that, but C++ has it’s performance drawbacks for things like kernels and drivers.

I mostly do windows development. I have not done a pure C commercial project since DOS. C++ pops up on occasion. Now, most of the game is C# and java.

"C++ mostly replaced C except for some things, like the Linux kernel."

"C is a very, very low level language. I would place C about a level above asm. Very few people do C aside from very specialized things like kernels and drivers."

With the above two statements, paul, I would venture to say you have your head stuck in the sand. Ever tried to write an embedded app in C++? I thought not, especially considering how many billions of embedded processors are out there running C/asm code on them. A few embedded apps are written using C++, but C has the lion's share by far, along with numerous other languages. To consider C barely a step above asm is ludicrous.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

C++ is a requirement for gratuitous bloatware. Never heard of a single microcontroller being stricken with it.

I would guess more C is written than anything else. Because I think there are more embedded systems writers than all other classes of software. I could be wrong though just a guess.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

C has always been the primary language in the domain of embedded systems and telecommunication. All micro-controller and micro-processor programming is done in C.

paulfrancis (Chemical),

C is probably the only language which can be used for both high and low level programming. U would be surprised at the number of telecom and gaming companies in the world (not just US) which code in C.

fuseshut (Electrical),

C is an extremely versatile and robust language and I am sure it will be around for many more years. My recommendations would be:

1) Programming in ANSI C - Prof. E. Balagurusamy
2) Let Us C - Yashavant Kanetkar

fuseshut;

Kernighan and Ritchie is THE de facto standard handbook for C. They [red]are[/red] the guys who brought it to life. It is the definitive authority.

Me? I find it not that great a book, a little to obscure for me. I have gone thru many books on C but the very best I have found, and it's a great book to read, is... I forget.. I never could remember the name of any book only what's in it. So when I get in to the office I will look at it and come back here with it. It is very clear with excellent examples and it's very logically and cleanly written. And it's funny to boot. A good read. I give it a 10 out of 10. Now if I could only remember the name of it.. tisk, tisk, [banghead]

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Programming in ANSI C - Prof. E. Balagurusamy
Kernighan and Ritchie

These were both highly recommended to me when I thought I would need to program in C.

In the end, I was programming in Pascal. Another story.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

That is what we like everyone to think. ;-)

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein

Real programmers don't eat quiche - they eat Twinkies and Szechwaun food.

Albert Einstein

Loved the bit about wearing climbing boots in the computer room just in case an Alp suddenly appears... :eek:)

And writing everything in FORTRAN whilst having a sneaking regard for C...

Hiya-

As I remember it, it wasn't:
"I was given to understand that "Real Programmer's Don't Talk Pascal".."

Rather:

"Real prgrammers don't use lower case."

or
Code:
C       FORTRAN IV
        WRITE (6,100)
 100    FORMAT( 36HREAL PROGRAMMERS DONT USE LOWER CASE)
        STOP
        END
Cheers,

Rich S.

There are no GOTO in real Pascal. ;-)

Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back