Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Literature on designing cardan shafts (propeller shafts) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

taykos

Automotive
Jan 11, 2005
TR
I am working on cardan shafts especially for heavy trucks.

I am searching for information to learn how to design the universal joints and other parts of cardan shafts.

Could anyone suggest me any useful material?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why would you want to design your own u-joints? These are standard parts widely available. Like rolling element bearings, they are comodities. Unless you are designing something really big, such as propshafts for 100 ton mine haul trucks.

I don't have so much knowledge about designing of cardan shafts. When an engineer are responsible for initial designing or choosing the right pieces like diameter of shaft tube or universal joint, i think there should be some mathematical correlations and theoretical aspects. I just want to learn the basic principles. When a customer come to me and say I design a new truck, a new differential, new motor ? should be able to do design the new complete cardan shaft.

SAE Universal Joint and Driveshaft Design Manual.
Advances in Engineering No. 7 - my copy was published 1979

Critical speeds, joint sizing examples, different joint types, almost complete balancing info.

Please see the FAQ Driveline Engineering Resources ( faq78-924).

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I recommend a book from F. Duditza "Cardan joints". Originally written in roumenian, a french translation has been published also by Eyrolles. It's classical and excellent source for people seriously involved in the design of cardan joints. If you are interested in equations and modeling, fatigue analysis you may wish to download the following paper:

Hi, you may find useful the following links. Manuals on the design of cardan joints are scarce. I recommend the book of Wagner (Published by SAE) and a book by Duditza. This last book was originally written in roumenian, but there is a french translation by Eyrolles. Although little known by American engineers, it's an outstanding contribution to the design of Cardan joints.
Sincerely,
Ettore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back