Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Live load for museum floor 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lutfi

Structural
Oct 20, 2002
US
I can not find direct reference for second floor live loading of a photography museum. Does anyone have a reference that they can cite for me?

I am between two values, 50 PSF and 80 PSF. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,
Lutfi

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For museum floors, due to the assembly nature of these, I would use a LL of 100 psf minimum unless stipulated otherwise by the owner. For storage areas and filing areas, the load could easily be in excess of 100 psf.

$.03(CAN) Dik

dik,

Thanks for the quick input.

For the storage area I used 300 PSF because they have a storage compactor.

100 psf sounds good at face value. However, I do not want to over design if not necessary.

Do you have a code reference?

Regards,
Lutfi

Lutfi - I'd agree with dik on this one. museums many times have "shows" or events and these qualify as a public assembly area. In addition, sculptures and other museum items can be very heavy so 100 psf isn't excessive.

For a photography museum...do you have photographic equipment on display? You might want to find out what the display layout is planned and try to get a handle on true weights.

I think a library reading room is generally described as the area where the tables and chairs are along with minor shelving for "special" displays...i.e. not the stack areas. I would think a museum would be heavier.

Slide...

Yep - the article also includes this:

[red]In one example, a museum building was to display a fine collection of bone china in glass cabinets that were to be fixed to the walls and floors. Even taking account of the fact that the space between cabinets could easily be crowded with visitors, it was shown that the floor loading was less than half the 4.0 kN/sqm suggested by the British Standard. A somewhat lower value was therefore used and the amount of structural intervention was dramatically reduced, without compromising the safety of the visitors or of the building.[/red]

This sounds like the studies I've read where office loading (usually designed at 50 psf) was found to truly range around 10 to 12 psf in actuality.

However, for any floor, we as engineers are judged against the standard of care - what another reasonable engineer would do - so most engineers I know are naturally conservative in their designs and would use the code required load or even higher if they suspected different potential uses for the floor - so in a museum, I can certainly envision a large group of people gathering for a party or an exhibition with speakers, etc. - and that sounds a lot like "public assembly" to me (i.e. 100 psf).

JAE:
Baker's steel skeleton has reference on actual loading within office space, but conditions may have changed since the original publication. The results mimic your 10-12 psf... they have a bit of a breakdown based on area...

Dik

I don't have my copy of the NBCC at home, but most assembly areas without fixed seating/tables, etc. are 100 psf...

It's been my experience that the cost for the added loading is a small additional item... the real economy is the selection of the framing system. Your and JAE's experience might be similar..

Dik

Depending on the type of museum, I believe the Live Loads could be expected to range from as low as 50 psf to well over 100 psf. I would not expect a photography museum to require more than 70 psf, unless a large number of glass plates are anticipated (except for storage areas).

In my experience, Performance is usually the issue. I have not dealt with any fall down floor failures, even when the floors were obviously overloaded. Floors which 'bounce' 'vibrate' or 'just do not feel right' are a common occurance. If the display cabinets rattle when people walk around or when the distracted boy jumps up and down, It could be perceived as a failure.

Very interesting how little specific guidence can be found for what should be a small problem. We are accustomed to having this all laid out in a code or standard. Good discussion.

Thanks for the debate and great exchange of ideas. This is what I like about this forum.

I have been in practice for over 23 years and my judgment tells me that 100 psf is the way to go. One will never know what the client may want to hold as a function down the road.

For now, it is a photography venue to display various pictures by the client’s photography students and professionals alike. Even hold regional shows.

I was leaning towards the 50 PSF but I convinced myself to use the 100 psf.

Good night to all.

Regards,
Lutfi

The Australian loading code gives 4 kPa (~80 psf) for museums. However it gives 5kPa (~100 psf) for areas susceptible to overcrowding.

Just an interesting post script. This morning started back to work on my next "E-book" to share with you folks (scanning and making a .pdf out of 372 page "1923 Carnegie Pocket Companion")

Lo, and behold...
There are the (historical) City Building Law Live Load requirements for, you guessed it, "Museums"

1917 New York: 100 PSF
1919 Boston: 100 PSF
1920 Cleveland: 125 PSF
1914 Pittsburg: 200 PSF

[reading]

One more thought on the museum floor loading. While the exhibits could be large and spread over a good sized area resulting in a relatively low psf loading, the EQUIPMENT used to move it in and out of the "show room" could be pretty heavy -- forklifts etc. with good sized wheel loads.

I vote for the 100 psf.

Slide Rule,

Your graphic makes it appear you are pulling some important reference information from behind and below your waist. That brings to mind an expression I heard often in collage ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back