Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Living Hinge Design 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenay503

Mechanical
Jul 13, 2005
US
Has anyone ever had any experience designing a living hinge out of Delrin? I need a tough material that will be resistant to automotive fuels.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DElrin is not suitable for living hinges. Use polypropylene only.

Polypro is too soft for what I need. I only need the hinge to survive a few cycles, once it is assembled, it will not be unassembled.

While PP makes the "best" live hinges, any plastic that can form linear crystals (ie any plastic that makes good fibres) can make a reasonable live hinge. Nylon can work if it's other properties are OK. It will have limited hinge life compared to PP.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I agree with Pat. Also, if you don't know nylons have very good resistance to automotive fluids such as gasoline / petrol. You can find a comparison of chemical resistance for many common thermoplastics at
Nylon becomes much softer and with better elongation to beak only after some time exposed to humidity in the air. That means it's not a good idea to flex the hinge straight from the mold, better to wait. Also you can speed up the flexibilisation by dipping it in water for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back