Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lloyds Code for Lifting Appliances in a Marine Environment 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosspetrie

Marine/Ocean
Apr 29, 2009
GB
Hi there, need some help here regarding the above.
I need information on the basic outline of the code, a kinda rough guide to what it entails etc.
Everytime i search anywhere i get sent to a page to buy the book for over £100, i'd obviously rather not be paying that sort of money for basic information on what the code contains.
Any help would be appreciated.
cheers
Ross Petrie

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The contents read:

Chapter 1 - General. This covers the introduction, definitions and requirements for what needs to be submitted to Lloyds.

Chapter 2 - Derrick Systems. Covers design criteria, different types of systems, fittings etc Loading and allowable stresses.

Chapter 3 - Cranes and Submersible Lifting Appliances. Covers design criteria, shipboard cranes, offshore cranes, submersible handling systems, Foundations, Loading and allowable stresses.

Chapter 4 - Mechanical Lift Docks. Covers structural design criteria, testing, classification and certification.

Chapter 5 - Lifts and Ramps. Covers cargo, vehicle and passenger lifts.

Chapter 6 - Fittings, Loose Gear and Ropes. Covers fittings, blocks, spreaders, loose gear, steel ropes and fibre ropes

Chapter 7 - Machinery Electrical Installations and Control Engineering Systems. Covers mechanical, electrical and control.

Chapter 8- Materials. Covers material requirements.

Chapter 9 - Testing, Marking and Survey Requirements.

Chapter 10 - Documentation. Covers certification and classification procedure.

Hi argentox.
I look for the chap 3 "Cranes and submersible appliances".
What are the dynamic factors give by this code for calculated a lifting appliance or a LARS?
Thanks for responses.
EricFrance.

Hello EricFrance:
Section 4 for Submersible Handling Cranes in Chapter 3 reads:
"4.4 Dynamic forces
4.4.1. The hoisting factor, Fh, to be used for submersible handling systems incorporates the effects of the submersible passing through the water/air interface and is to be taken as 1,7. "

Let me know if it does not answer your question, I will be able to give you better insight from other sections as well.

All the best,
Eric

Eric W. Schreiber, BSc(EE), MBA

Hello everybody,

The best way to get LR Code for Lifitng Appliances in a Marine Environemnt free of charge is to contact LR local office in your area. The list of LR offices is available on under "contact us". It is normal LR policy to sell their rules to customers but I am convinced every surveyor will make them available to you when you need.

Regards
iceclass1994

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back