Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Load Bolt Selection Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tioch

Mechanical
Nov 2, 2005
US
I'm currently working on a pipe support manual and I've run into a bit of a snag. Years ago, a company called Basic Engineers along with NAVCO produced a standard hanger components catalog/handbook. In this manual, they had a chart called the "Load Bolt Selection Chart" which placed load bolt diameter(in) versus "back to back"(in) and then listed the allowable loads(kips) for each. Basic Engineers doesn't exist anymore, though. I've been having a lot of trouble either confirming if the values calculated are valid, or if there is a modern day equivalent. Any help with this quandry would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tioch,

The chart that you are referring to is to assist in selecting the proper dimensions for Basic Engineers' Riser Clamp fig. 'BE 168'. Basic Engineers allowed the designer some flexibility in choosing his own back-to-back dimensions.

Current manufacturers such as Anvil International (formerly Grinnell), Piping Technology & Products and Rilco tend to select this dimension for you.

I'm sure that the data published by Basic is what they felt comfortable with and to confirm those values you would need to know the safety factor used, bolt material, allowable stress and what temperature.

NozzleTwister
Houston, Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back