Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Load combination question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PostFrameSE

Structural
Sep 5, 2007
US
During a discussion in the office today a question came up.

I'm doing a cantilevered retaining wall with a building on top of it and I'm questioning the way I've looked at the "D" component in the past of the .6D + W + H load combination. I'm questioning what is included in "D?" Is it:
1. The dead weight of the objects on top of the wall/footing (like building), or
2. Is it the building and the soil setting on top of the wall/footing that helps resist my overturning, or
3. Is it both of the above PLUS the weight of the concrete in the wall/footing itself?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think it would be the dead weight of whatever is resisting the overturning forces. It is basically the 1.5 factor of safety for sliding/overturning on a retaining wall.

When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong.

-R. Buckminster Fuller

My choice is #3 as well. But it must be noted that the building you mentioned will also act as "surcharge load" and its effect must be added to the value of "H" in your load combination.

I stopped at "cantilevered retaining wall with a building on top of it". The cantilevered wall will tilt, so the building will move.

With a building set on top of it sometimes cantilevered walls no longer are cantilevered and should be designed accordingly.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back