Load Distribution on Elements 3

Tygra_1983

Student
Oct 8, 2021
GB
Dear all

I am currently working on a hypothetical project for the following structure:

House_Project_Pic2_uru3ee.png

Firstly, I am tackling the load distrubtion on beams in kN/m from an applied area load in kN/m^2. I am analysing the load that comes from the floors including the imposed load which is 2.95 kN/m^2. You can see how the load is distrubited in the following figure:

House_Project_Pic1_mcazrf.png

I am confused how the load has been distrubuted to the following beams. The distributed load changes after the intersection of the wall.

beam_in_question_d9mxye.png

To get the UDL I multiply 2.95 kN/m^2 by 5m (the panel widths) which gives 14.75 kN/m. However, this load does not extend across the whole beam. It reduces to 11.8 kN/m.

Screenshot_2024-09-17_122440_oj5nyb.png

I guess the wall has something to do with this change in load, but I don't know why. When I look on the plan I feel that the beam should be 14.75 kN/m all the way along the beam; that is the area load should be multiplied by the panel width to get the load in kN/m.

First_Floor_Pic_ehcj8k.png

Why is this happening? Thank you in advance and I hope I have explanied myself clearly enough.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tygra said:
When I click the link it goes to 'page not found'.
The link is up there, guessing because you're clicking on the quote.
Link :
Tygra said:
I will have look for that. Unfortunately, my student trial expires in about 10 days. Shame, I was starting to like Tekla Structural Designer. At Uni I used SAP2000 and was accustomed to using that. It took me a while to enjoy Tekla.
I haven't used Tekla structures in about 7 years; I learnt a bit of a SAP2000 in school (not enough to do design). SAP2000 can feel slow and sluggish most times. Sad your student trial expires soon...

Tygra said:
Thank you for your very kind words, BulbTheBuilder. Its encouragement like that, that keeps you going! That and the help from the Lord! Thank you for your prayers.
Amen, you're welcome. Deut 3:16 - "The Lord your GOD will never leave you nor forsake you". These words keep me going every day.

Tygra said:
did use Revit at University. Even though I can still gets books out at the Uni Library, I have lost all access to their online services because I am not enrolled anymore. Revit was really good, but I thought it was more of an architects tool?
Nope, structural engineers can use it as well; We use it to produce our structural drawings. I wished community library gave us access to student edition of certain applications. When my free trial expired, I created a new account to re-register for another free trial. That was back then, I don't know if that can still be done. I use my library card for LinkedIn learning which is really helpful.

Tygra said:
Just a quick question to you guys: When I was working, my employer relied solely on the computer software for the design and verification of members. No hand calcs or anything to validate the computer results. The only hand calcs he did was to calculate the loadings on the members. He did, for the most part, only work on residential buildings - loft conversions and extensions etc. I was quite dissapointed by this, even though it makes the job alot longer. Just wondering if youy guys think that it good practise?
Good or bad, I can't exactly say as I don't know his level of expertise and how confident he is with the application. I rely on software for things I have done repeatedly that I can mentally spot-check the model, and it is usually a simple frame. And by rely, I mean I have done hand calcs before on several occasions to have "faith" in the result.

Now, we also have people who haven't done any hand-calc before, have no feel or experience, and reply solely on software which I personally think is dangerous. This is something I see often among my peers, other young engineers but I don't blame there. People graduate from school and on their first day on the job they expected to build big analytical models with zero training.

That said, in working world, the budget is often tight, and they need to spend less billable hours to make profit. It is either they spend engineering time to get it nice and neat or run thru a black box to make profit. Businesses will always choose profits

Thank you for your answer, BulbTheBuilder. And its great to meet another Christian on here.

Just in closing If you love that verse in Deuteronomy, look at it when it is quoted in Hebrews 13:5 in the Amplified Bible:

"Let your character [your moral essence, your inner nature] be free from the love of money [shun greed—be financially ethical], being content with what you have; for He has said, “I WILL NEVER [under any circumstances] DESERT YOU [nor give you up nor leave you without support, nor will I in any degree leave you helpless], NOR WILL I FORSAKE or LET YOU DOWN or RELAX MY HOLD ON YOU [assuredly not]!”

Wow, the power of it!!!!

I don't want to participate in a discussion about religion; it's not an appropriate topic on an engineering forum. It has such a strong "hold" on some that they will take extreme measures against one another in the belief they are appeasing their god. That is why I don't like that part.

Back