Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Load Rating for Steel Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

crunchie12268

Mechanical
Jan 11, 2012
US
Hello,

I've been asked to determine the max load for a set of fabricated steel racks. I've searched around for an answer to my question and believe I should use the ANSI MH16.1-2012 standard as my guide for these calculations. I just want to verify that this is correct?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"The standard applies to industrial pallet racks, movable shelf racks, and stacker
racks made of cold-formed or hot-rolled steel structural members. It does not
apply to other types of racks, such as drive-in or drive-through racks, cantilever
racks, portable racks, etc. or to racks made of material other than steel."

Thanks boo1/Mighty, like I said this is just a "guide" for calculations because I couldn't find anything else that was specific to this application. I noticed the MH16.1 referenced ASCE 7 several times and tried to looked through it too, for more information, but I couldn't do so for less than $150.

Crunchie,
You didn't ever say if your racks fall under that scope that I quoted, and didn't give us enough information to determine that. You haven't said where you're located, and any building code requirements would vary depending on the jurisdiction. ASCE 7 does include some requirements for racks in the seismic loading section, but doesn't include a lot of detail on the actual design. If it is applicable to your project, you'd probably want to get a copy. The building code in question (IBC, whatever) should tell you which issue you need, which won't necessarily be the latest. A public library in that jurisdiction is likely to have copies of the building code. You can oftentimes find information online as to the building codes adopted by a particular city or other government entity. If you're in a low-seismic area, check through the various exemptions from seismic design first.

I have just been tasked to calculate load ratings for the fabricated racks on our production floor. We are an industrial shop manufacturing farm equipment and the racks are normally built with 4x4x1/4" or 8x4x1/4 structural tubing. These racks have been in use for many years but the regulators have recently found us and we need to have ratings on them now. Determining the strength is straight forward but the racks are so heavily built that they could be loaded several different ways, 1500# on each "shelf" or 2500 on the lower ones and 500 on the top ones ect. If each shelf were loaded to it's rating it would be far over what the base or uprights can handle. Is there a standard for determining load distribution?

Thank you

The simplest method would be to rate the rack so that each shelf can take the same amount of weight. If the columns are controlling, take that capacity and divide it by the number of shelves or the area of the shelves. It would be easiest to control and understand for the users.

If you need more than that, you'd have to define it clearly and make it obvious to the users what the limitations are. You could put a per shelf limit and a per rack limit, for instance.

I don't know what your regulations require, but I would suggest very clear signage, regardless of what you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back