Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Load Vs deflection curve for simply supported beam under point load at centre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looks like you have elastic behavior from deflections of 0 to about 7cm. A plastic hinge starts to form under the load at a Load Factor (LF) of about 16. Strain hardening sets in at LF of about 24 but points adjacent to the load are reaching yield.

It is not clear why the curve continues to LF of about 90 and deflection of about 27cm. I would have expected the beam to collapse when the plastic hinge reached about 2*Fy if the beam was truly simply supported, i.e. pin and roller. With such large deflections, is it possible you were getting axial tension in the specimen? What was the span length?

BA

If you have a hinge support at each end, you will generate axial forces in the tube. To test a simple beam, you must have a roller support at one end.

If the point of load application prevents horizontal movement of the specimen, you must have a roller support at both ends.

BA

please show a picture of the test.

at some stage i'd expect the load/displacement curve to "kick over" and give large displacements for small changes in load.

I assume the testpiece didn't fail in the test.

have you tried to FEA the test ? if both ends of the beam are pinned, so the beam cannot contract as it bends, then that'll induce tension in the beam.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

well this behaviour is typical for nonlinear analysis and both end fixed.
As the load and deformation rises the beam will get tension force and then at some point 'change' to more cable like behavior
and the load can be raised up much more

This numerical test is good to test a program on nonlinear capabilities ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back