Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

loading conditions and boundary conditions for FEA of an insole and foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

addtive_student

Mechanical
May 9, 2020
IN
I'm a beginner in using Ansys and as I was going through the FEA analysis of insoles and foot and upon reading the literature i was confused on what the loading conditions for a the sole and foot in contact should be applied to my model.
Apart from the weight of the person I chose the forces to be applied on the crossection on the foot of a MRI scanned foot and recontructed it and meshed and reduced the sharp edges.
I've assigned hyperelastic properties to the soft tissues.
I've given force(weight of person) as an input and i want to predict the planatr pressure.
I've considereed a two step loading to close the gaps in between the bones with the first step being a small force.
The second loading I've given Weight of the person on the crosssection of the foot bone.
How do I get the pressure outputs?
How to get the pressure results of the sole ? Should I make another model for this or can it be done with the same model? If yes what should be the loading conditionns for this ? Should I give them seperately?
What should be my inputs to the sole and foot? I'd appreciate boundary conditions too if possible. I'm attaching the picture of my model.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=29f7b7c7-d9c4-46bc-b59e-3563c2e8af17&file=q1.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can fix the bottom of the insole and define contact between foot and insole. Loading applied to the foot will push it against the insole. When contact properly establishes, you will be able to read the contact pressure results.

Won't giving force input give me force output? and how can the analysis for the sole can be viewed on the sole can they be view simultaneously or should i define master and slave models as in ABAQUS?

As a response to applied load you will get reaction force on fixed surface but also contact pressure between touching components. You have to define contact pair (frictional contact type should be appropriate in this case) - use bottom of the foot as one surface and top of the insole as the other one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back