Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Loads and restraints on trusses

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogarila

Mechanical
Oct 28, 2001
CA
I am new to SW Simulation. I would like to do a static analysis of a truss using the truss option in SW Simulation. My question is how do I add loads and restraints on the truss in areas away from joints?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This came from my VAR:

SolidWorks developers agree that the Help file does indeed need some clarification. Here's basically what it should say:
BEAMS:
- You can apply loads to joints, reference points, or structural members (beam bodies).
- You can apply restraints to joints only. There are 6 degrees of freedom at each joint.
TRUSSES:
- You can apply loads and restraints only to joints. There are 3 degrees of freedom per joint.
Thank you again for reporting this.

SolidWorks has confirmed the problem and has assigned a SPR (Software Performance Report) with development to have this problem addressed. Please see the subject of this message for the SPR # for your reference.

You will be notified when this has been addressed. SPRs are addressed in Service Pack releases and annual major releases of the software.

You may also look up the status of this SPR via the SolidWorks Knowledge Base in the SolidWorks Customer Portal by searching for the SPR #.

Have a good day,

I still can't find a way to define reference point wich will allow applying a load. Can anyone help?

Turn your stringers into beams, keep the braces as truss. Then you an either split a beam into two so you get a joint where you want it or create a work point on the face of the beam and apply your load to that point. You may need to use a sketch on the face to help define your location of the work point or add some other work geometry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back