Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lobro CV joint axial force component 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcl41244

Electrical
Jun 2, 2003
US
I'm designing a carrier bearing support for an automotive intermediate axle shaft. The non articulated intermediate shaft will couple to a Lobro CV joint close to the carrier bearing. I wish to learn the magnitude of force to be considered in the axial plane of the carrier bearing. That is, force contributed by the CV joint when it is transmitting torque while at it's maximum angle of 25 degrees. I expect it to be somewhat proportional to transmitted torque and joint angle.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're refering to the intermediate shaft; it engages the output spline of a transaxle. If you refer to the articulated half shaft; it has a CV joint on both ends. One coupled to the carrier bearing supported end of the intermediate shaft, the other CV coupled to a stub axle which drives a wheel.

Hello Greg
The CV's have a max operating angle of +/- 25 degrees. The suspension will limit actual travel to +/- 20-21 degrees.

regards, Robert

I may have committed a serious faux pas with the nomenclature. I stated "force in the axial plane"; maybe that should be radial plane? Anyway it's force normal to the rotational axis that is my objective.
regards, Robert

Good correction. I doubt you will obtain a useful figure from any formula relating to normal operation. In this condition, and if things are working right, the load is consistently low. The greatest radial load might come from something like a CV being out of whack, the tire hitting a curb, or torque spike during an exceptionally harsh shift. Generally speaking, any high quality, standard duty ball bearing that fits around the spline and shaft will handle any expected load.

If thrust loads are handled at the differential, the mount will only need to address radial loads. These often amount to little more than a flat plate, mounted in such a way as to provide radial load capacity similar to that of the bearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back