Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Local Failure Calculating according to ASME in negative hydrostatic stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

BicMech

Mechanical
Nov 24, 2021
KR
Hello
I am writing because I have a question while reviewing local failure as follows.

I am reviewing local failure of the steel structure.
Design code : ASME Sec.8 Div.2 clause 5.3.3
Design Method : Elastic-Plastic Analysis
FEA Program : ANSYS
Material : Carbon Steel

I calculate 'Limiting triaxial strain, ɛ[sub]L[/sub]', as follows.
(ASME Sec.8 Div.2 Formula 5.6)
limit_strain_vcjzes.png

where,
Hydrostatic stress, (σ[sub]1[/sub]+σ[sub]2[/sub]+σ[sub]3[/sub])/3 = -150 MPa (from FEA) (A negative value is calculated because it is a compressed part)
Equivalent stress, σ[sub]e[/sub] = 250 MPa (from FEA)
α[sub]sl[/sub] = 2.2 (from ASME Sec.8 Div.2 Table 5.7)
ɛ[sub]Lu[/sub] = m[sub]2[/sub] = 0.27 (from ASME Sec.8 Div.2 Table 5.7)

Limiting triaxial strain, ɛ[sub]L[/sub] = 1.36

Here are the questions.
1. In general, the elongation of carbon steel is about 0.2 (20%), but the calculated 'Limiting triaxial strain' seems to be too large compared to this. I wonder if it was calculated well.

2. If 'Limiting triaxial strain' is well obtained, I do not know how such a large value is possible. Please let me know what material to study.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your triaxial stress is very compressive, making the material more ductile which means it can experience greater equivalent plastic strain before rupture.

BicMech

Check this link for more information on the local failure criteria.

The local failure is possibility when you have hydrostatic tension +tensile stress condition (σ1>σ2>σ3>0) at the point of evaluation (generally notches/sudden geometry changes). Yes. The graph shows exactly what happens when the tri-axiality ratio changes from positive to negative. The required strain for failure is higher when components are having the hydrostatic compression stress state. This is why, in metal forming/drawing operations calculated amount of compression is applied to "draw" or plastically deform the billet without fracturing.

By the way any reference to this graph? Which material is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back