Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Locating Oil type transsformers inside building

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmt019

Electrical
Jun 25, 2003
US
Is there a problem with locating a 7.5 MVA oil transformer inside a building? I would use FR3 oil and still build a containment area for it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Where are you, globally speaking? This determines which rules you must follow.

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

Lest it come out funny, or lest someone thought I was being sarcastic, I didn't word it as "Where in the world are you?" Perhaps I could have asked, "Where on the globe are you?"

There was a post recently where the sub-synchronous speed of induction motors was being discussed; confusion arose because the OP didn't mention he was in a 50 Hz location, but the responders were thinking 60 Hz.

I'm curious as to whether the applicable laws in the US vary state to state . . .

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

I wouldn't recommend oil-filled inside. The fire suppression due diligence and insurance paperwork would be a nightmare. I'd look at two 3-4 MVA dry-types. The manufacturers may be able to do a 7.5MVA dry-type too. Better lead time with dry-type as well I believe.

ben
bengibb.ca
powerdesignerpro.com

It's a fire code issue, so you'll have to get some help or check with local fire marshal. You may be required to install in a room with fire-rated walls. With FR3, you may get away without the vault, but it depends on the building type, occupancy, and interpretation of local authority.

Oil vs dry choice depends on a lot of factors. Outside oil-filled would be much simpler from an a fire code standpoint. Have you looked into lead times? They are crazy right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back