Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Location of Lighting Controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCSEng

Electrical
Dec 5, 2008
JM
I am designing the lighting system for an outdoor public rest room and outdoor stands (for viewing sports events). I placed the lighting controls (switches) for the restroom on the outside door of the rest room and those for the stands at the bottom and top of the stairs that lead up to the seating.

The client queried the proposed location for the switches and suggested putting them in an independent adjoining room to prevent members of the public having access.

I am designing in accordance with NFPA, NEC 2002; ICC International Energy Conservation Code 2003; ICC International Building Code 2003.

Am I permitted to place the switches for the bathroom and the stairs in an adjoining room, which will be locked? Can anyone refer me to the section of the above codes that would prevent me placing the switches in this room?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No idea on the codes, but I for one would HATE for the switches to be on the outside accessible to everyone if I were on the inside! You don't want to be using braille for the paperwork!

Permit me to first advise you to take the time to get familiar with the codes. When you do, you'd be able address with more confidence.

Second and more important, you should know that the codes are ALL ABOUT SAFETY. So ask yourself, in this case which is safer: public access to the switches or restricted access as points out by your client?

It's a no brainer. Your client is right in this instance.

All. Thanks for your reply.

Section 805.2.1 of ICC International Energy Conservation Code 2003 states:

Each Area enclosed by walls or floor-to-ceiling partitions shall have at least one manual control for the lighting serving that area. The required controls shall be located within the area served by the controls or be a remote switch that identifies the lights served and indicate their status.

Exception:
1) Areas designated as security or emergency areas that must be continuously lighted.

2) Lighting in stairways or corridors that are elements of the means of egress.

My comment:
I noted the comments and they were quite valuable. However, how would you all interpret the above?

Public restrooms should be controlled without the public having access to the controls. Occupancy sensors, keyed switches operable by staff only, photo sensers, timed scheduling with secure maintenance switching..., there are many ways to skin this particular cat. Many of which, including that proposed by your client are reasonable, workable solutions. In some areas, such as here in California, energy code states that the space being controlled needs to be visable from the control location, but we still would use secured controls.

Your viewing stands are quite another issue. Depending on level of occupancy this may be deemed an Assembly area by your AHJ. The controls may still be remote,but you need to consider egress issues,etc..., to locate the controls. These certainly cannot be where the general public could access them.

Good luck,
EEJaime

If some one is in the rest room and the lights are turn off from an remote area. It's just common sense,ask your self how is the person to safely exist the the rest room with out light.

If he gets hurt under these conditions you and your client may get hit with a law suite. Then you will see how the code is applied. Clients will not alway back you up when the chips are down.

I would check with your local building department on how this code is applied since the client has made it an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back