Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locking SWx BOM cell size

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlj4794

Mechanical
Jan 18, 2006
US
I've always used Excel based BOM's without any trouble, but after reading this board, I thought I'd play around with some SolidWorks BOMs.

One thing I like about the Excel BOM is it the text always comes in on a single line, the cells fit perfectly, and you have to double-click to screw up the cell size.

Is there anyway to set the SW BOM to fit a single line of what ever text is inputted every time, and lock it so cell borders aren't easily dragged and screwed up?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

rlj4794,
To the best of my knowledge there is no way to control what you want. We do not allow anyone to text edit our SolidWorks BOM’s. So the cells never move.

Bradley
SolidWorks Premim 2007 x64 SP4.0
PDM Works, Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

Thanks anyway, Brad.I 'm not as concerned with unwanted text editing as I am accidentally clicking one of the BOM lines when my views or dimensions get close. I think for now I'll stick with Excel for now - I've never had a problem with the functionality and haven't really seen enough justification to go to the SolidWorks BOM.

rlj4794,
The reason we switched was: We had equations in our cells to control lengths of wire, tubing, zero qty and etc. Every time we would open the drawing out of PDM, several cell quantities would be blank. We put our own property in for part number, this would also be blank on a few cells. Our BOM's go into the second sheet quite a bit. It is easier for us to split the BOM’s now. The SolidWorks BOM does not have a problem at all. Also SolidWorks does not support the Excel BOM, they let you use it.

Bradley
SolidWorks Premim 2007 x64 SP4.0
PDM Works, Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Virtual memory 12577 MB, nVidia 3400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back