Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locking Washers 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

agiman

Mechanical
Apr 8, 2002
US
Does anyone think you should not have locking washers in bolted components subjected to fatigue bending and stresses?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is your definition of a locking washer?

This subject has been covered before - please perform a search on this site.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I searched but found nothing, The washers are split spring washers

If the material under the lock washer is moving from high load, the lock washer will start to imbed and allow the fastener to loosen.
For high stress connections heat treated flat washers under the bolt head and self locking nut seem to be the best we’ve found.

agiman,

Please read thread725-57042, thread725-63343, and thread725-85323.

PatCouture,

Helical split washers are worthless for most engineering applications. Please review the referenced threads (especially the one that links to NASA RP 1228).

Regards,

Cory

Thanks a lot Cory, I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject. But I've seen many people using them almost for any applications where there is a bolt in a threaded hole, and I never really knew if it was good use or bad use.

Thanks again.

Patrick

How about light components attached to a sheetmetal chassis by self tapping screws? It usually isn't possible to give these much torque and "shakeproof" washers (fan disc, internal and external star) are commonly used to lock the fasteners and also to help give electrical continuity,

Are these washers also redundant?

Jeff

notnats,

You are describing a horrible joint. In the auto industry, they are not allowed - you have to use a proper nut (weld nut, staked nut, u-nut) so that you have a process-capable joint (high drive/strip ratio) as well as a joint that can withstand service loads. In your scenario the washers aren't necessarily redundant, the whole joint is not good. It is preferrable to design a proper joint and avoid "fastener magic" that usually doesn't work.

Regards,

Cory

I'd like to thank everyone for some interesting replies, i'll certainly think before i use a split spring washer again

Cory,

I appreciate what you say and have argued for years against the use of spring washers in proper joints.

However it is a fact of life that many assemblies are designed and built to a price, often in the face of fierce competition. I am not talking about motor cars, but toasters, washing machines, computers, furniture.

Everything in life is a compromise; strength, weight, cost etc., and sometimes the market won't pay for anything better. I think there can be a valid case for specifying a shakeproof washer.

Jeff

Spring washers certainly arn't the best device in the world, but they do have there uses. I've found in low load, high vibration enviroments such as on industrial reducers they are highly effective at locking up small dia thereads (not as good on large dia bolts as they work out too easily)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back