Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lockwashers - To Use or Not to Use 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

kthree

Mechanical
Aug 9, 2004
US
About the same time Ed introduced us to the Beetles I was working as assembly labor in a shop whose propriatary line was mfgd mostly from cast iron and structural steel. At that time it was explained to me that lockwasers were used under a (NC) nut or a screw head when they pulled up against steel but a lockwasher wasn't necessary when the mating surface was cast iron. And it seemed they had many years of success in this procedure to support their claim. Now my circle has brought me back to a very similar cast iron and steel situation. Now that I am more aware of time involvement in the production process, I am amazed at the substantial amount of time our assemblers spend fumbling with the thousands of lockwashers we go through every month. Captive lockwashers and serrated flanges have been looked at so far. Neither has offered a set of pros and cons we are anxious to accept. Any ideas, comments, or suggestions anyone would wish to share in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, K.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

KTHREE: I have mixed emotions about lockwashers. They work, but I think one has to consider the application and operating environment. I would suggest looking at thread locking compunds. If it absolutly, positively, must stay together then consider mechanical locks such as cotter pins and locking tabs. Regardless of the locking method, I would also suggest multiple passes in assembly so the tension in the bolts are near each other.

Regards
Dave

Lock washers have been discussed on these forua many times. The consensus is that they do NOT work.

Locking tabs prevent gross rotation, but can introduce a large mount of embedment and relaxation into the joint, potentially resulting is a total loss of preload.

Cotter pins prevent gross rotation, but can allow sufficient rotation to loose preload.

Adhesive locking compounds are great. If you can trust your workforce to use them correctly - clean the parts, prime if needed, apply correct amount...

Prevailing torque fasteners are the way to go.

Lock washers have been discussed on these forua many times. The consensus is that they do NOT work.
Lock washers can be as good and efficient as anything else when used in the proper places. They certainly don't belong everywhere. Saying they don't work is disingenuous.

Fabrico,

The consensus Mint spoke of is that a lockwasher will not prevent loosening and loss of preload on a typical joint in a typical application (i.e. placement between a steel nut and a steel frame member, and subjected to vibration). The problem is that the washer is compressed flat in use, and the single tang no longer bites into the nut; significant rotation can occur before the washer will stop reverse rotation. I've worked for a couple of aerospace companies that showed us young punks test data where a lockwasher was shown to be no better a torque-retention device than a properly torqued joint with a flat washer. This conclusion is backed up by NASA RP-1228, Fastener Design Manual, R. T. Barret, 1990, among others. Can you quote a source stating they do work in the subject scenario?

When a lock washer is fully compressed, as it is in a joint that is holding its design preload, the lock washer behaves exactly like a flat washer with a crack in it. Or, if you prefer, a spring that has gone solid. It no longer acts like a spring in further compression and its stiffness, as it relates to the joint performance is determined by the modulus of elasticity of the material.

If the joint loosens sufficiently so that the lock washer acts like a spring again then the joint has lost its design preload and the only tension left in the bolt is whatever small amount that is provided by the lock washer. It doesn't matter. The joint has already failed. The lock washer may postpone the inevitable departure of the nut from the end of the bolt.

But if you don't want to believe me, perhaps you would believe NASA.

NASA Fastener Design Manual RP-1228:

The lockwasher serves as a spring whilel the bolt is being tightened. However, the washer is normally flat by the time the bolt is fully torqued. At this time it is equivalent to a solid flat washer, and its locking ability is nonexistent. In summary, a lockwasher of this type is usless for locking.

Or the US Navy.

Naval Ships' Technical Manual, Chapter 75:

Although lockwashers may be encountered, using the flat washers with selflocking nuts, self-locking fasteners, self-locking inserts, or thread sealants such as MIL-S-22473 anaerobic compounds is preferable.

If loosening has been a problem, however, replace the lockwashers with self-locking fasteners.

The helical spring lockwasher (Figure 075-5-11) is flattened when the bolt is torqued down. Once compressed, it acts as a flat washer, contributing normal friction between the nut or bolt and the bearing surface during tightening.

Or the British Ministry of Defense.

Vibration Loosening of Threaded Fasteners (Light):

If the plain fastener is taken as the datum any washer reduces locking effectiveness

Agree with the "no" vote, except in the horrible case of electrical terminations, where the washer is no longer the softest spring in the system.

But then, that is not a bolted joint, that is an electrical termination!

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

I have covered the question many times as well. Heres the best case I have found aganist helical lock washers. Reference:
Fastener Design Manual - NASA Reference Publication 1228, Richard T. Barrett, Lewis Research Center Cleveland, OH

Quoting from page 9 "in summary a lock washer of this type is useless for locking"

Thank You everyone for taking the time to consider and respond to our question. You have provided a great deal of information that is going to be used to reconsider our design. We greatly appreciate your help. K.

I don’t know if it was motioned, but another alternative may be to use locking helicoils. At the last three or four threads are angled slightly to lock the screw.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

Urg. Sorry Mint, I should've suggested that you post it as a FAQ - I didn't know about the FAQ rating system until I'd posted it and read the little follow-up blurb. I did attribute the whole thing to you in the text...sigh.

btrue,

No worries.

I would have stated "preload retention" rather than "torque retention" however.

Now that I'm immortalized in a FAQ, I wonder if my real-world self can cite my anonymous internet forum self as an information source?

much consideration needs to be placed on the seating area of the fastener. Lock washers typically replicate the fasteners head, and offers little improvement over not using one. A hardened flat washer has a larger seating area against the retained component. Although elongation of a retainer reduces applied tensions, disruption of the seat has a similar effect.

In production environments we have often found that a hardened flat washer with a locking compound to be most effective.

"Now that I'm immortalized in a FAQ, I wonder if my real-world self can cite my anonymous internet forum self as an information source?"

LOL - why not? Then have your anonymous internet source sue your real self for plagiarism.

Bumax,

Spring washer, helical spring washer, helical split washer- this thread concentrates on them because the original poster dates his experience and products to a time circa 1960, which precedes the Nord-Lock washer by 20 years.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

They must number in billions by now and they're still going strong. You can quote and vote till the cows come home, they can't all be wrong. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back