Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Lofts

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadman98

Mechanical
Oct 25, 2001
US
Help! I am trying to create a "cut loft". I have created my starting sketch & end sketch. When I go to create the loft cut, SW picks the points and I cannot, for love nor money figure out how to change the choosen points. I read the help file, and it just says to choose the sketch again, but it still chooses the same point and its always the wrong one!

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How are you selecting your sketches? If by the tree, this often happens. Normally, you can select the points of each sketch you want by picking them. Picking a point in a sketch will select the entire sketch as well as the points you want to define your loft (and avoid unwanted twisting).

Jeff Mowry
DesignHaus Industrial Design

Yes, that is normally true, but for some reason, my sketches are not accesible except from the history tree. Therefore I am left with no option except picking them from the history tree, which is assigning "its" pick point. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks

Well, I just tried it to make sure. I created a base loft of two square profiles--no problems. Then I created a lofted cut with two square profiles--also no problems.

You will probably need to delete your lofted cut feature--sometimes when you edit a feature I have found limitations in selecting viable sketches, etc. When you delete the feature and start over, the selections are then able to be made apart from the tree.

If that doesn't work, what version/SP are you using?

Also, what are your profiles like? Splines, arcs, lines?

Jeff Mowry

Is your sketch hidden?

also, I find this sort of cut is more robust if I make the loft as a surface, and then cut the solid with the surface. [bat]Gravity is a harsh mistress.[bat]

Using SW 2001+ SP1.2

Have created lofts many times, and I understand what your'all a sayin, but ....
1. I have not created the cut loft yet, all I have done is created 2 sketches which are very similar to each other, they are on individual, parallel planes.
2. But for some reason, no doubt my fault, I cannot pick from the sketch itself, just the history tree.
3. I tried to create a 3d sketch line from the points I want to utilize for the loft cut, but I can't make a relationship between the end point of the 3d line to the corresponding point on the sketch, because my sketches won't stay highlighted.
4. Closed everything, re-booted, still same thing.
5. My brain is frizzled!!

Appreciate all your insight though :)

Note for Scott: I tried to access your loft sample, but it wouldn't let me do that either.

Today just isn't my day .... in fact yesterday wasn't either .... and tommorrow ain't lookin too good either!!

Before picking your points to generate the loft, offset your sketches (15° in both directions is usually enough)

Many points I can't directly grab can be grabbed after skewing the sketches.

Remember...
"If you don't use your head,
your going to have to use your feet."

It sounds as if something is disabled within SW that doesn't allow your sketches to be selected in the viewer area--especially if your sketches won't stay high-lighted when you attempt to select them.

Perhaps this is some annotations setting?

Have you made any successful lofts since upgrading (if you recently upgraded)?

Jeff Mowry

Thanks for all your help!

It helps a lot to have "view, sketch's" turned on.

Sometimes I amaze myself!! not for the best either.

On the other hand, it's nice to have everybody's help.

Thanks much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back