Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

LOG10 Function not working in Solidworks 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jolyon

Industrial
Jun 14, 2021
MT
Hi, first time poster here - please let me know if I posted in the wrong place! [ponder]

I have an issue with Solidworks that I cannot find the answer to anywhere.. I am trying to set a dimension using a Logarithmic formula with Base 10. In Microsoft Excel if I use the formula LOG(2) I get 0.30103 but in Solidworks, the Base seems to be 16 and gives me 0.6931. I looked it up and it seems that Solidworks has a LOG10 function for exactly this use ( The problem is, when I enter LOG10(2) into the dimension box, it doesn't recognise it as a formula. [3eyes]

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, or if there is a fix for this?

Thank you in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know this is late, but just for completeness...

The base is not 16, it's e. SolidWorks equations use the VBA log function, which is the natural logarithm. Please see
As noted in the link above, you can calculate the logarithm in base 10 by dividing the natural logarithm by the natural logarithm of the desired base. So, to get log10 of 2, you would use log(2)/log(10).

The reason the LOG10 function you found doesn't work is because you found it in the help for SolidWorks Motion, not SolidWorks.

Thank you so much handleman! I just tested it and "log(2)/log(10)" did the job perfectly! I never would have thought of that.

Also I did not realise I was looking at the help section for Solidworks Motion!! Sorry for that! [jester]

No worries... There are so many sections in the SW online help, and it's not immediately apparent where you are, especially if you arrive on a page via a Google search or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back