Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logo Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpid

Structural
Mar 14, 2008
US
Back ground:
I work for a consulting firm which is performing work for a particular client. However, we are not directly employed by the client, but by another consulting firm that does not perform engineering services.

We typically apply the client's logo on our documents at their request (as they will "own" the final product). In this instance the consulting firm which we are working for is suggesting that we also include their logo on our documents.

Question: Is anyone aware of any legal or ethical problems with adding other logos to contract documents? Or has anyone came across similar instances?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The more the better, we are up to one full sheet to list all associated firms, their stamps and seals and paragraphs excluding portions of the work they did NOT do. We include municipal reviewing agencies, owners, financial stakeholders and the list of applicable codes and design criteria.

We often have many logo's on our sheets. Structural drawings we are producing for the current project I am on have the ultimate owner's logo, the developer's logo, the 'executive' architect's logo, the 'production' architect's logo, our logo and the project logo on every sheet.

Takes out about a 1/10 of evey sheet just to get the logos on. :).

Careful....you mentioned that one was not an engineering firm. If you do that you might be at odds with your state licensing law. Check that first.

Folks, Ron's right with his suggestion to temper your actions with a review of the State's licensing rules and regulations.

For example, here in the Midwest many public clients are now requiring engineering firms to provide State certificate or license number.

If by using the non-engineering company logo, it is presumed by others as the same company offering engineering services they are not licensed to do so, look out! Big fines will result.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

mrpid said:
We typically apply the client's logo on our documents at their request (as they will "own" the final product).

You might want to be careful about transferring "ownership" of documents to any client, since you will give up control of how they might be used in the future, for which you have little control. Drawings, calc, reports etc.. are typically licensed to the client as the engineer's instruments of service to preserve the professional's ownership, while providing the client everything they need to construct the project. Check with your professional liability insurance agent on this subject...it's a pretty big deal for them with regard to risk exposure and whether your policy will fully cover your firm for any risk beyond policy limitations.

If client still insists upon ownership of documents, PL insurance companies can suggest release language for the client to sign that will limit your exposure so your firm will continue to be fully covered.

Hope this is helpful.

One thinking about duel logos with chain of clients that have no technical involvement with your drawing. Sat company A hired Company B to develop a broad scoped project, in turn, company B (non-engineering firm) hired you, company C, as the engineer for part of the works. By contract, your direct client that you have to fulfill the contract obligations is B, so there is nothing wrong their's logo be put on your drawings. Then since B services A, by the same token, there is nothing wrong for B to put A's logo on the very same drawings. If you want to be prudent, maybe wording the client block (under your logo)by "Client: Name of Company A - Project Developer". This shall clerify who's who in the whole event.

LobstaEata....excellent point. Ownership of documents is significant.

Q..thanks. Hope things are well with you. We are required in Florida to put our "Certificate of Authorization" number for a business entity on drawings and other documents, as well as our individual license numbers/seal.

My 1.76 cents (stock market is killing me):

The logos don't mean squat. What matters is that your corporate identification is on the plans, that your corporation is licensed in the state to do business, and that you are a licensed engineer practicing within your discipline of expertise.

I've had all sorts of projects over the years where the project "participants" put their name on the cover sheet, etc. simply to identify the project and team members.

On most ALL of my structural plans, where we worked for an outside architect, their logo was on my plans - despite them not having any structural expertise. No problem since it simply designated the team involved in the project (be it architect, real estate developer, or city council).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back