Long Commute 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavlik

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2003
US
Dear friends,

Sometimes I feel stupid spending the time I spend every day commuting to and from work. I am talking 2 hours each way!
You see I live in NY City and work in southern Connecticut (Fairfield County).
I do not want to move to CT, simply because I'd be depressed there- we all know how depressing suburbs could be.
It'll be somewhat of a relief for me to know that I'm not the only one who commutes so much. Or am I?

cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As a CT resident, I'd hate to live in NYC! Forget suburbs! I live on farmland. Anyway, I can understand your plight. I myself travel 1 hour each way, through Hartford traffic. I thought I had it bad. If I were you, despite what you think about "suburban" CT, I'd move. Gas is at $2.20 minimum, and probably encroaching on $3 in Fairfield county... Tolls... Time... Traffic... Headaches... Commuter tax?... I see you saving $300-$500 a month just in gas. That doesn't include what you might save on rent, assuming you have an apartment in the city. Yeah, no question. I'd move.

Or do you use transit?

ChemE, M.E. EIT
"The only constant in life is change." -Bruce Lee

Four hours a day? Man, you must either love your job or love your home. I average about 30 mins in and 40 mins out. My longest each way was 65 miles in 58 minutes... That was too much for me.

Any way you could telecommute a day or two per week? How 'bout 4x10's or 9/80's?

Personally, I'd go nuts with a commute that far. Are you riding the train/bus? That's probably a bit better for at least you can sleep or read or veg or whatever (though I see more and more people reading as the drive!!).

Actually,

I don't even own a car, which one of the reasons I don't want to move to CT.
It costs me $293.00 per month to ride Metro North.
But otherwise I'd have to agree with you that driving each way would have been a pain.

adios

If you're taking public transit, I could see it being easier. I'd invest in a laptop so I could wrap up work on the train, and possibly get that pesky paperwork done during my commute, provided the employers go for that. Much agreed, though, in order to appreciate CT, you'll need a car. $293 per month is not bad when you consider the costs associated with owning a car. (gas, insurance, maintenance, parking, unforeseen weight gain...) Perhaps this is a good opportunity to evaluate how you are spending your time on the train and if you can use it more effectively.

ChemE, M.E. EIT
"The only constant in life is change." -Bruce Lee

I think it depends on whether you love your existing job and/or your existing home, if you don't want to move.

I used to have a job that I couldn't stand that was about 10 minutes from home. Loved the commute (through a park), but the job sucked so bad I couldn't stay.

Now my job is 38 miles from home, about a 50 minute to 1 hour commute each way on good days, and sometimes over 90 minutes when we have snow/rain/construction, which is most of the time in the Twin Cities. But, I love my job now and wouldn't ever go back to the previous one just for the commute.

Also, in an earlier life about 18 - 20 years ago, we lived in Chicago and commuted via train to the Loop every day from the suburbs - about 90 minutes door to door. I didn't really like the job that much, but it was easier to do when I was younger. It gave me a chance to read the newspaper, novels, etc. I even spent some of the time studying to get my Illinois S.E. license while commuting.

Per your question, you're not the only one who commutes so much, Pavlik. You just need to convince yourself that you're doing it for the right reasons.

I just traded in a 15 minute drive to work for a 55 minute drive (both ways). My wife has even more travelling to do, because when we get into the city, she takes the commuter train to downtown, while I work at the airport on the city outskirts. We did this because of where we want to live - on a little acreage with plenty of room for several horses, fresh air to breathe, and a stimulating environment for my son to grow up in (outside, instead of in front of a TV).
Compromise is required in making this kind of decision: for us we are willing to bear the extra expense, and on days that my wife drives, I can do some reading.

You seem to be travelling the opposite way - you want to live in the hustle-and-bustle, and keep the job you like.
Does the company you work for have branches, other offices, or different departments closer to home to which you could transfer? I see many others have suggested the tele-commuting option, but I for one work for a company that wouldn't tolerate this, and it would be pointless, for me anyway - my job requires me to be there, to see, touch and do.

If you wrote a "balance sheet" of the advantages and disadvantages in your current lifestyle, where would the 4-hours-per-day stand?

Steven Fahey, CET
"Simplicate, and add more lightness" - Bill Stout

I left NYC after the frustration of driving in traffic. The best move I made was to Cincinnati, where three of my four children were born and raised. Make the break!

I went from a 2 hour commute (total time) to a 20-30 minute commute (again, total) and am looking at going back to a 1-2 hour commute. I'm not looking forward to it, but as others in the same situation, I love my current commute but hate my job. Moving to the big city has its appeal, but I will have to sacrifice some of the quality of life for the almightly dollar and chance to attend a good graduate school.

If you like your job, don't mind the commute, and your family life doesn't suffer, then why make the move? $300 a month won't touch a decent car, insurance, gas, and maintenance! The fact that you don't have to *drive* the four hours a day is nice. From my viewpoint, the job, benefits and pay would have to be top notch or perhaps I'd just have to have a desire to NOT spend time with my bride and new baby to make that kind of commute each day!

E-

I went from an hour plus driving through bumper to bumper traffic to a 15 minute drive of 12 miles to work. I now live in the middle of 240 acres of trees that I own, have draft horses, dogs, and only one neighbor. There are things I miss not living in the city - Burger King being at the top - but on balance country life is way better.

I commuted 55 minutes to and hr and 10 minutes in the morning, and on the way home it was like 1:10 to as much as 3 hrs depending on accidents!

I got used to it. Started listening to more talk radio, and learned a foreign language.

But I have to admit, I don't plan on commuting so far for the next job.

Overall, I liked the commute on the way in, it was a time to listen to music, and get ready for work.

I ABSOLUTELY HATED IT ON THE WAY HOME THOUGH.

If your boss is cool, seriously considering working different hours for those of you who have to drive. You must avoid the night time traffic jams.

Buy a motorcycle!

Zip in and out of traffic.
Take the HOV lane.
Easy to find parking.
Good gas mileage.
Fun!

Riding a motorcycle doesn't always shorten the commute, however. You end up riding out of the way, just for the enjoyment. . .

Yeah, yeah, winter can be a b*tch tho.

ICman

How do you take the HOV lane with a motorcycle? Unless I'm misinformed, HOV is for High Occupancy Vehicle.

And, zipping in and out of traffic may save you time, but can be extremely dangerous, especially if you zip around someone with serious road rage.

"Buy a motorcycle!"

I like the concept of a motorcycle, but while working in the ER, there is a reason we called motorcycle riders "organ donors". Even a 2000 lbm car versus a motorcyclist is no contest, but risk my life in a daily interaction with the 5000+ lbm SUVs driven by some who can barely see into the mirrors and insists on talking on their cell phones and eating? No, thank you!

The Italian intersections are comical to watch as the scooter/bike riders creep up to the front of the line around the cars at each light. It's like the start of a Formula 1 race at each red light! I'm amazed that in the two weeks we were there, we never witnessed a traffic accident even in those conditions!

E-

Many, if not most, states allow motorcycles in the HOV lane. They are at least 50% occupied [wink] and move very well in traffic. In other words, if a motorcycle breaks down, it will not usually block other vehicles from coming thru. Two motorcycles can ride side-by-side, as well.

As for the risk - it all depends on how much you will accept. There is obviously more risk, since there is no protection from impact built into the design. Safety gear may reduce the consequences somewhat.

The big advantage is accident avoidance. A motorcycle can often swerve around problems very quickly and easily, while the 5000+ lb SUV must take it straight on.

At least you would stay awake during the commute! [smile2]

Guys,

I don't know how it is where you are, but owning a car in New York City is an expensive priviledge.

A comprehensive coverage for someone my age (25) is around $ 4,500 per year, on top of that there are tolls (typically $ 4-6 on most bridges), parking in Manhattan ranges between $ 200-600 per month, gas at $ 2.25 per gallon, etc.
Not to mention your car gets constant dents from someone parallel parking into you. Your mirrors get knocked off by FDNY trucks or some other jers in an oversized car if you forget to flip them in.

I appreciate all of your kind suggestions, but buying a car here- forgedabaoutit.

pavlik,
If you are commuting on the public transit, then you can use the travel time productively and should not feel stupid at all.

I'f you have a family, you might want to calculate how much of your children's childhood you are missing.

Otherwise, lifestyles are not textbook, sounds like you are saving money, no car payment, no parking, no insurance....

BURGERKING: God I miss Whoppers....

In response to the original question...

I once worked for Toshiba, with a lot of Japanese engineers and managers. Their average commute was over 2 hours. EACH WAY! One manager I worked with in the U.S. told me that he spent 8 hours commuting to and from work every day in Japan. I worked in their factory offices for a week, and walked, took the train, then a bus, then walked some more for about a 45 minute commute. And I was close by.

When I worked in London, I had a 1 hour commute that included walking, tube (subway), and bus, again for a fairly close distance (maybe 15 miles).

Living in a Houston suburb and working downtown took me about an hour each way (25 miles). That's probably average for a large city in mid-America, too (e.g. St. Louis, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Dallas, etc.).

You're still young, so things like public transit, suburbs, family functions, and so on are all kinda boring. That's one reason I suggested a motorcycle, for it's something you might enjoy that isn't so boring, and you can have fun when you're not working.

However, each person must either accept his/her lot in life - or change it. Don't feel it's stupid to spend so much time commuting IF you enjoy what you're doing when you reach your destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back