Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

long saving times while using v5 drafting

Status
Not open for further replies.

btwilcox

Automotive
Jan 31, 2005
US
I have run into some problems when trying to save my drawing on CATIA v5. The drawings always save but it will take me about 4 to 5 minutes to finish the save process. I looked up the sizes of the .catpart and the .catdrawing files and the drawing is twice the size of the part. Is this normal for v5? I do not have anything to compare this model to in v4 because the file is both the drawing and the part.

I am thinking that maybe there is some command or setting that I can change so that it won't take as long to load a file. The other possibility is that the drawing file will be able to shrink in size because of something that I can change in it, such as a method that I use when creating it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It wouldn't be unusual for the drawing to be a larger file size than the part. You can triple the size if you add more sheets or views.
Where are you saving to; local, network, PDM...?
Are you using DLNAMEs ?

I am saving locally to one of the two computers in the network. I was also thinking that one of the problems could be that I am using a title block that I have copied and pasted from another drawing. Is there a way that I can take a specific title block into the drawing while not using the predefined block from CATIA itself?

Hi,

When you copy elements (title block) from one file to another, every single 2Dcomponent (Dittos) will be link with the file where it comes from. You can Expose components to break that link (or explode them...). Then you will have less links in your drawing = less access to source file = then faster CATIA.

Make some test and let us know...

indocti discant et ament meminisse periti
Eric N.

I wasn't able to locate a command that was called explode or expose in order to break the links of the title block. If you could specify more about what kind of command expose is or what I need to do in order to break these links, I will give it a go. Thanks,

Expose is for Drawing Components (aka Dittos). Select one of the instances of the Component you suspect is linked, Right Click, and select XXX.Object, Expose. This will create a new detail sheet (if necessary) and create a new draw detail in the current CATDrawing.

You can tell if you have one of these linked elements by using EDIT LINKS on your drawing. You should become familiar with this command, as a very large number of our V5 Drafting problems show up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back