Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Longitudinal Transaxles

Status
Not open for further replies.

younglearner

Military
Sep 30, 2003
JP
I've done alot of looking and can't seem to find who manufactures longitudinal transaxles for automotive applications. It doesn't matter to me whether the gearbox is longitudinal or transverse I'm just trying to get better answers then Renault, Porsche, Volkswagen, Mendeola, and Forton (forgive me if I misspell)? I appreciate the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There's also Ricardo (The engineers the Audi R8 transaxle), Getrag (make VW Audi boxes), and Quaiffe (syncro and dog engage sequential racing type boxes) all make longitudinal transaxles of varying sophistication and cost.
Shawn

The Corvette does have a transaxle. It is different in that the actual transmission is between the output flanges and the input shaft. Typically (for mid-engine, rear-engine applications)the actual gearing hangs out back.
What this means is that the transaxle is too long (tranny/engine flange to ouput shaft distance) to be used for Mid-engine layouts...If thats what yer' thinkin :)
Shawn

What is wrong with a Porsche 5 speed?

In the Corvair heyday folks were putting V-8 power thru the later (1966 and up) 4 speeds after adding a few extra spider gears. Posi was available, but the ratios are kind of wacky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back