Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Looking for a better Solidworks Toolbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliensquale

Mechanical
Oct 20, 2008
US
I'm running Solidworks 2010 and one of the things I
really don't like is the included Toolbox. I find it's
lacking a lot of hardware that I often use in my
assemblies (bolts, nuts, washers, etc.). Plus each and
every time I need to modify the length of say a bolt it
makes a copy of the bolt, etc.

What would even be better is to have a toolbox that can
corespond to parts numbers from say McMaster Carr or some
other online parts supplier.. so that when I add toolbox
hardware into my assemblies it will also link to the part
number from a site like McMasterCarr to facilitate easy
ordering.

Is anything like this possible? what 3rd party toolboxes
are available?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you used the solids for fasteners from McMaster-Carr? Accurately detailed, but too much detail - no need for an actual helical thread in most models. We only use McM-C for finding stuff and getting it fast, usually for prototypes. Once we establish the fastener as a regular part we buy it from our local distributor.

We use the Toolbox extensively for its fasteners. One of the best things we did was to have an intern go through our parts list and setup TB with our fasteners (P/N and descriptions matching our ERP).

On rare occassions we have found that our hardware was a different dimension than the Toolbox part. When we do learn of this we simply edit the definition in TB and it even corrects those parts already in use.

We have our system set to create a new part for each instance as this turned out to be much faster than the alternative of letting TB create new configs. Once a particular fastener is called for its part file is referenced if it already exists or a new part is generated if this is the first time it has been referenced. TB does not make multiple instances of identical part files.

What fasteners are you using that aren't in TB? Its library is quite extensive.

- - -Updraft

aliensquale,

It is not difficult to model your own fasteners. That way, you get the level of detail you want in your model, and you get the BOM entry you want. You ought to be able to generate a purchase requisition by copying from SolidWorks and pasting.

Make sure all your screws and nuts are copied from the same root model. This way, you can replace pan head screws with cap screws or hex bolts.

Attach specification documents to your CAD models, and check the whole thing into PDM. Now, you can write ECRs on your fastener specifications.

This all is a fair bit of work, but you should do it only once.

Critter.gif
JHG

what do you mean by "solids for fasteners from McMaster-Carr?"

I guess nobody sells a toolbox add-in or at least a custom toolbox directory that has standard hardware along with McMaster Carr part numbers on it?

As others said create your own TB. It's really easy and quick with design tables and configurations. You get the level of complexity you need and the description and part # you want in your BOM.

Add new fasteners as they come up.

Certified SolidWorks Associate
SW2009 X64 SP 1.0
Dell Precision T5400
Nvidia Quadro FX 5600
Xeon 2.5GHz Quad Core, 4GB RAM
XP Pro X64 SP2.0

Yes, I agree, that the toolbox is missing some types of harware like English Flange Hex Bolts, but before you write-off the SW toolbox completely remember that I believe most fasteners there have smart mates included and this can be a real timesaver when used with feature-driven patterns. Also, I recommend breaking the link to the toolbox part immediately after using the part. What I do is start a new assy bring in the toolbox part, then from the assy tree open the SW part in a new window, close the assembly. Now do a save in the directory of your choice and kill all the configurations you do not need.

To take it another step further you can completly break the link to toolbox by using the sldsetprop.exe feature to change the icon from a bolt to the standard SW part icon. This way even when you upgrade your toolbox to a newer release it will not recognize th items you are already using as toolbox parts.

Hope this helps,
PD

too bad nobody has already taken the McMaster Carr solidworks files and integrated them into a custom McMaster Carr toolbox for solidworks? that would be great!!!

Any file can be used as a Toolbox fastener, its just a matter of setting a flag, however you can't make changes like you do with the database that comes with SW.

The DB that does come with SW can be expanded to any size requirement you need. If the 1/4-20 SCHS is not your common fastener, but a 2" one is, then you can make a custom database and you can specify the size.

As for it making a copy of the part is because of an option that is setup in your Toolbox database. If you have it setup as a multi-user TB and the files are located at the server that everyone can access. Then I would use the option to change the master part file. I never had any issues with that.

This sounds to me more of a settings issue and the lack of knowledge about the Toolbox, from you initial post.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

I too ended up pretty disappointed with stock Toolbox, I don't think its been upgraded in like 10 years minus maybe adding Solidworks adding smart mates to them at some point.

Certified SolidWorks Professional

So why can't you add your own as needed (Configure Toolbox)or if you have part you use on a regular basis, you can make it into a TB fastener? You can't edit the size, but you make configurations of the part and select those when you place the part.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back